What do the red stars mean by the horses name on pedinq?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

What do the red stars mean by the horses name on pedinq?

Postby erhrdt3 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:19 am

Hi everyone,

Can you tell me what the red stars mean next to the names of the horse on a pedigree? I'm looking at a colt to purchase but I'm concerned as to whether or not this colt is able to be registered with the Jockey Club. If I contact the JClub would they be able to tell me if this colt is able to be registered? Its a matter of whether all of his ancestors have been registered, he is a pure TB. Technicalities.....

HELP!! thank you!!!
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:34 am

From PQ FAQ

Q: What do the red stars mean?

A: The Red Stars (*) are used in the pedigrees to show that there's a photo for a specific horse on record. To view the photo of that horse, pull up his or her pedigree and scroll down untill you get to the Additional Information section of the pedigree.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 am

ohhhh ok, thank you Sysonby! I appreciate the info so quickly. Trying to make sure a colt I really like is able to be registered. Thank you again so much. TD

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:57 am

Sysonby wrote:From PQ FAQ

Q: What do the red stars mean?

A: The Red Stars (*) are used in the pedigrees to show that there's a photo for a specific horse on record. To view the photo of that horse, pull up his or her pedigree and scroll down untill you get to the Additional Information section of the pedigree.

The Allbreed db still uses red stars to indicate photo available but the TB db has been using a little horse image mouseover icon instead of the red star for years - at least that's what I've been seeing. :wink: At any rate, if I had doubts about the registration status or eligibility of a horse under consideration for purchase I'd definitely contact the Jockey Club.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:04 am

Thank you, you just answered another question I was going to ask, if the JClub would tell me ahead of time BEFORE I bought the colt if he was eligible for registration. I just found out his half brother is racing, but its a matter of making sure that all the horses, namely a couple mares, were registered by their owners.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:40 pm

erhrd, you are making it more complicated than it is. If his half brother is racing, then his half brother is registered, which affirms that his whole damline is registered. As long as the sire is also registered, the colt can be registered provided you have proof of ownership of him, and the stud certificate in hand for the breeding that resulted in the colt. It doesn't matter if he has unregistered SIBLINGS, they do not affect his eligibility.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks Madelyn, what it turned out to be is that I had the name wrong.
I have found the registration on the pedinq. for both of them now so all is well!

Sometimes I get to typing to fast and just one word, etc. can cause an issue.

Thanks for the info.

TD

zipperfoot
Weanling

Postby zipperfoot » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:56 am

Since pedigreequery data can be entered by anyone, sometimes inaccurately, it's possible that a horse could be listed there but not JC registered. Better to confirm registration with brisnet.com or equibase.com (if racing age), which are JC databases.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:51 pm

actually, equineline.com - use the free 5 gen pedigree - and you can use the dam's name and year of birth of the foal. It is better than equibase, which only has a horse who has had a published work or raced.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

zipperfoot
Weanling

Postby zipperfoot » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks Madelyn--I totally forgot about equineline.com (duh...).