Back to Pedigree Query
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Displacing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:18 am 
Starters Handicap

My 2yo colt ran 2nd over the weekend at CD and when all was said and done it turns out he displaced in the final 1/8...jock said he roared which the trainer confirmed as happening during several workouts over the summer/fall. I've had fillies that displaced before never a colt. Vet has recommended a myectomy, which I've done before but my question is -

Does anyone have experience with 2yos ever outgrowing this? I'd be fine giving him the winter off if there's a chance that he'd just outgrow it. Way back in my mind is the recollection that this procedure makes eating more problematic...so if I could avoid it - I'd like to. Trainer is on the side of just do it and get it done with, but that is not surprising.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Displacing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:06 am 

Hm. First I always try to tack around it. I've had really good luck with the tongue control spoon bit from Big Dee's combined with a flash noseband. For my little red horse I made a big shadow roll that fit on the flash. Was his tongue tied?

Post subject: Re: Displacing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:40 pm 
Starters Handicap

Thanks. Yes - he's been tongue tied in all works, and in his race. We'd considered switching bits, but I acquiesced earlier in the week and we went ahead and did the procedure. Vet, after getting in there and seeing the thickness, said we did the right thing. We will see...after he resumes working. I like the flash idea anyway- especially if we stay in KY and run at TP next month.