Silent Glory

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Silent Glory

Postby Toccet02 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:19 am

Hey guys; been a little too busy to update you on my last remaining charge: SG has been out since March with a tendon lesion (left fore) and has had long slow recovery time. He's back with Gary at Belmont, and has had two clocked works, the most recent the other day at a good clip (2 of 22 if memory serves).
fingers crossed!
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Re: Silent Glory

Postby Mahubah » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Good luck with SG's comeback! After all the bad luck you've had, you deserve a winner's circle photo.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Nope, I guess not for me.
Flareup of the tendon issue, and Gary won't train him.
Said we partners were free to take him to another trainer if we wanted, but he wouldn't risk breaking him down.
I agreed; he should be retired from racing.
So ends my first ownership adventure. about 10% of my investment returned, a few barn visits, insight into the industry, insight into what jerks some people in the biz can be, insights into how lovely some can be, and of course the constant reminder that the horses get better medical care than I do. :lol:

I'm only slightly disappointed, as I know what can happen and had resigned myself to kissing ALL of it goodbye. I may be able to invest in the future with some good deals/breaks, so--- we shall see!

----Arrested Development

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi Toccet,
You went in with the right attitude and you handled the ups and downs with total class. I wish it could have turned out better for you, but something tells me there might be an encore in the wings with a happier ending:>) TJ

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:10 pm

I hope so. What really hurts is that my husband has been dismissive of this from the start and he'll be in the "I told you so mode". As for doing it again right now . . . if there's a good cheap horse, I might. But wouldn't behind husband's back, so THAT'S going to be an uncomfortable discussion. I wish there was a manual for things married couples are always supposed to do together, and what they are not. We're two very different people. I know many spouses hide major things from each other, but I'd really rather not.

----Arrested Development

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:58 am

Sorry to hear that the "last hope" is off the trail. Better luck next time.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:36 pm

I hope silent glory does better for his future connections whatever they end up using him for. You definitely have the right attitude about it and I hope your future racers are more fruitful and less stressful.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Thank you everybody. Much appreciated.
My "practice" horses have done so well that I'm really determined.
I even have 2 on the Derby trail.
If only the actual purchases could have panned out so well . . .

----Arrested Development

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:57 am

Toccet02 wrote:I hope so. What really hurts is that my husband has been dismissive of this from the start and he'll be in the "I told you so mode". As for doing it again right now . . . if there's a good cheap horse, I might. But wouldn't behind husband's back, so THAT'S going to be an uncomfortable discussion. I wish there was a manual for things married couples are always supposed to do together, and what they are not. We're two very different people. I know many spouses hide major things from each other, but I'd really rather not.

Wise choice. Maybe you and your hubby can come to an agreement about "his hobby" and "her hobby," with no questions asked about money or time spent within certain agreed-on parameters?
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:51 am

I'm sorry about him but agree with the decision to stop. It's a very tough business all around, the highest highs and really low lows.
You had starters and that's something to be really pleased with & throw in that they were competing in a really tough circuit and your first foray into ownership is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure you could find a lot of people here who could tell you about horses they had that didn't start or that couldn't win or that got hurt in a race just as they were about to launch a winning move.