Jockey Strike at Mountaineer???

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Jockey Strike at Mountaineer???

Postby Gerry » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:18 pm

Is this true? jockeys are going on strike tomorrow (Saturday)?? Has anyone else heard about this, thoughts and comments.

I have heard it is because the track refuses to pay medical bills for jockeys when they are on a horse but if they are injured when not riding then the track will cover med expenses.

thanks
Gerry

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:29 pm

There was buzz about it this morning both on local radio and on the backside. We are in the middle of a horrible mess right now weather-wise and racing for tonight has been cancelled anyway so its irrelevant for the evening (I had heard they were supposed to refuse to ride starting tonight).

Right now we are dealing with major flooding, mudslides and water main breakage, 7 inches of rain fell in Wheeling an hour south of us. We live 3 miles from the track and Darren has been sitting in standstill traffic on his way to go feed for approx 45 minutes. There are a few dams that have the potential to fail and areas south of those are being evacuated.

The riders dispute has something to do with the amount of insurance the track carries on riders and the instances in which it is applicable. I heard that while other tracks carry a $1M policy in the event of a tragedy such as Gary Birzer (paralyzed when his horse went down and he was run over) Mountaineer has a $100K per rider policy instead, which is really just a drop in the bucket. But then, this is hearsay and did NOT come directly from any jockey (as it was raining HARD this morning, not a jockey in sight).

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:36 pm

Hey Jessi -- my husband has family in WV. Do you know which dams are endangered?

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:45 pm

JessiP-

Please make sure you and the family are safe. I just arrived home and turned on the T.V. to see all the torrential downpours in W.Va. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and the news flash stated that there is a State emergency declared there. It's also heading for Pa., with the possibility of tornados.

As for any jockey strike, I have to agree that 100k of insurance coverage per jockey just isn't enough!! :shock: With the danger these jockeys encounter any time they get atop a horse, it's ludicrous for such a minimal amount.

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:24 pm

Jessi P- please take care of yourself and your family. We arent getting nearly the rain that you are but the "creek" in our pasture has collapsed about 50 feet of our fence line. Looks like it took out about 1/2 acre of the pasture and quite a few trees and we are on the border of NY/PA. So I can only imagine what it is doing in your area!

Thanks for the update on the jockey situation, You would think with the slots and purse increase that the jocks would be protected better. At least a million.

Gerry

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:31 pm

http://ahps.erh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?pbz is a site that has info on river stages.. let me see what else I can find on the dams.. I believe "HUGHES" is one of them. I am just across the river (WV side) from East Liverpool.

http://www.wtov9.com/severeweather/index.html This is a link to the 32 counties that are affected. I will copy and paste a blurb from our county, Hancock WV:

In west virginia, hancock.
Hughes lake dam may be in danger of failure. Officials will be monitoring the situation. Residents of hanover township, beaver county, hanover township Washington county, and hancock county should be alert. Specifically in hancock county residents along kings creek to the ohio river, the north fork of kings creek and hardins run could be affected.
A watch means that there is the potential for dam failure. If dam failure becomes imminent, a flash flood warning will be issued.

Mahubah, do you know what city or county hubbys relatives are in?

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:03 pm

Sounds like they're nowhere close; they're in the Charleston area. So as long as the Kanawha doesn't go on a total rampage...

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:53 pm

These weather reports sound like Armegedon. Freaky :roll:

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:10 pm

Hey Jessi P... you know what they say about mares going into labor in a storm, or the worst weather possible... any correlation between mares and humans in your area, if you get my drift? What a beautiful time to be headed for the maternity ward...

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:10 am

Don't know about that, but some wags are aleady predicting a birthrate spike in Florida come next June...people gotta while away the time during those power outages somehow! :wink:

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:37 am

Hi everyone, we are still here! Didnt get washed away... the sun is out and there are wind advisories so hopefully that will aid in the drying out process. Today is my first day of maternity leave so I am wondering how the horses are but dont dare call Darren as he will be running ragged (or at least he SHOULD be without me dern it!). I do however, have to work Sun and Mon as the new groom apparently has a funeral in NC to attend.... When I hear what is up with the jockeys I will post what I have heard.

Mahubah I thought it was just me, but there are loads of newly pregnant people around! Our vet is expecting their 3rd in April I believe (well, his WIFE is). Since this will be my third October baby (assuming we make it that long) its pretty obvious I need to take up a new hobby in January....

:D :shock: :D

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:18 pm

Hi Jessi,

Glad to hear that you all didnt get washed away! Have you considered getting a couple mares that foal in january? thats a good hobby

Nice to see that Jockeys are still riding, Shoe is on her way to Finger Lakes to try state bred racing for awhile (and she will only be an hr from me which is nice) Her weanling brother is really something all attitude!

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

You know...fewer would get hurt if....

Postby TBLADY » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:50 am

I think the whole 100K thing is SHIT! These riders give up so much to ride. (if you think differently try being a jockey) The track, betting public all made $$$$$$ off of these riders (horses too) and the least that should be done is the track take care of its own! I have been at the track more in the past week and it was sad to see the posters hung for fund raisers for a jockey who has major medical bills due to his profession. Why is it the trainers have to carry Workmens Comp on their employees but not the TRACK? Aren't the jocks employees of the track?Or are they considered Contractors Now?

Also there would be fewer break downs in general if they would do something to FIX that damn track surface! I was going to get in touch with a friend who does aerial photography and see what he would charge for an over head pic of MNR. I bet there are all kinds of things you can see from the air. (holes, Shallows, deeps, ruts,etc..)

Sandi in Florida
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Sandi in Florida » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:13 am

I agree--why CAN'T all jocks have a million dollar policy?? Only seems fair.

As far as the increased birth rate due to all these flippin hurricanes, LET'S HOPE NOT!!!! I already can't go into a restaurant and have a peaceful meal without screaming babies everywhere. And don't people realize there are enough people on the planet for the time being??? The overpopulation problem is why we're having all these terrible storms in the first place. They said to expect more of the same for the next 10 years as a result of the Earth trying to fix her environment thanks to an overabundance of carbon dioxide (think cars and human polution). The Earth can't handle our population doubling every few years--when is enough, enough?

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:38 am

I'll take it you don't have children.

Jessi whats the latest word from the track?

Also...one last thing RE: Mountaineer Park. Its a pretty well known fact Mountaineer Park has some of the most LAX tests. how is it a horse with a POOR forum comes back in the names of a FEW trainers and runs like a stakes horse in the matter of a week or two? Then the horse either breaks down or dissappears without notice? Got any Suggestions? I do! Better testing is needed! Who is the STATE VET at MNR now? I don't think its fair the acting state vet also practices on the back side.