Sabino for Jorge

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Alibhai's Alibar
Yearling

Postby Alibhai's Alibar » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:33 pm

Jenarby wrote: Hey! How did you find that??
That's my horse!!

what a coincidence! i took that photo when he was at the track last year. he caught my eye so i put his photo in one of my racing albums. your pics reminded me of him, but i did not realize that it was the same horse!!!

that's so cool. i love to take photos of racehorses of all levels and it's really neat when i come across the owners online. did you adopt him from a program like CANTER? how's he working out for you?

Jenarby
Allowance Winner

Postby Jenarby » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:33 am

Small worold isn't it! I think that's great that you saw him and took his picture!

Well, I bought him (two weeks ago this monday) from a trainer at Mountaineer. I had seen him in the paddock and though he was gorgeous. I asked the trainer if he'd sell him to me. He said yeah, if he ran poorly that night. Well, he ran poorly. The trainer wanted way more for him than I could afford. So I asked a friend if she was interested. It was more in her ballpark. She said yes, and made him an offer a little lower than what he wanted. He refused it....ran him again...no good. So she called him back and made another offer....no dice.....
I took another buyer to see him. She liked him a lot but he didn't move big enough for her. I shopped him around to other people but noone would bite on him.
So he ran yet another bad race.....trainer said, "call your friend, I need rid of this horse." So I did. She called and left several messages and he never called her back. I left a message too, no return call. I thought that was odd because he's pretty good about getting back to me. So a few weeks went by....and I decided to give him one more try. He said, "You can have him for "X" amount of $$...otherwise, he goes on the meatman's truck tomorrow morning." I was shocked. I called my friend yet again. She was totally over stocked, but was willing to take him anyway. Suggested I make the trainer another smaller offer. So I called him back. He said he had to think abuot it (keep in mind, I was paying way over meat price...he had to think about it). When I made my offer, it was 3pm on monday. He called me back around 5pm and said I could buy him, but no papers unless I gave him $100 more. Of course I gave in.

So, he was destined for the slaughter sale in about 10 hours if I hadn't picked him up at 7:30pm that night.

He's been absolutely WONDERFUL. He gets along with any horse he's turned out with. Lives outside 24/7. He's totally in love with my mare. I can ride him alone or in company, in a snaffle. We go cross country, through woods, through creeks and over ditches, even along the road. He looks to me for my confidence, but still tries so hard to please. Poor baby has body soreness out the wazoo and his back....well, he's had several chiro adjustments already.
I'm taking it easy on him. ONly riding abuot every 2 or 3 days. He thinks he's in heaven.
I wish I could keep him, but that would mean selling my mare, and that's not happening. So, if you know of anyone he'd suit, he's a total sweetheart.

Thanks again for sharing your pics. I was even thinking of contacting his breeder to update him.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:00 am

Sounds to me like the trainer was using the whole slaughter thing to pull at your heartstrings a bit. It simply doesn't make sense... if he's going to sell him to slaughter on day two, and someone offers him over slaughter price, even if it's ony $50 over slaughter price, on day one, it makes NO sense for him not to accept the offer. He gets more money and gets rid of the horse (spending less time and money to care for it) one day earlier.

It really irritates me that someone would use guilt and sympathy like that as a sales ploy, but it doesn't surprise me. "You know... if you don't buy this horse for $2000, I'll simply be forced to sell him to the meat man for $800... and it will all be your fault... can you live with that?" How do some people sleep at night?

Green Hills
Starters Handicap

Postby Green Hills » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:13 am

Roguelet wrote:It really irritates me that someone would use guilt and sympathy like that as a sales ploy, but it doesn't surprise me. "You know... if you don't buy this horse for $2000, I'll simply be forced to sell him to the meat man for $800... and it will all be your fault... can you live with that?" How do some people sleep at night?

Sadly they sleep only too well...if not long enough for my taste.

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:29 am

Jenarby - that's a great pic. I can hear the squeal coming! And ont of them's going to stomp!
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:34 am

Oh, Jenarby. How I wish. He's exacly what I want. Just no money now, probably in the spring. <gulp> If you still have him in the spring, I'll buy him. Really. How tall is he?

Cheryl
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!

Jenarby
Allowance Winner

Postby Jenarby » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:17 am

Rogue....
He said, "Oh, this guy said he'll find him a good home."

He picks horses up once or twice a week and takes them to Sugarcreek. People DO stop in at his place and buy off of him cheap for riding horses...but who's to say? Nice horses go to slaughter every friday.

See, I think he pondered over it because I bught another horse off a different trainer last year really cheap. The trainer said he didn't care what I did with him. He was sick of trying to get him to run. We figured out the horse's buttons and won a bunch of races with him. I imagine Eagle's trainer had that thought run through his mind too. I promised him that Eagle would not race again. Although, I wish I hadn't. Eagle has a lot of sorenesses and may have done well in our program in some time.
Oh well, he's a happy boy in his new life and will make someone a wonderful mount.

Chiggins...I don't think he'll be here in the spring. My BF says, gotta go before the snow flies. I can *normally* find good homes in a month or so (knocking on wood). Wish you'd come have a look at him. He's steal your heart.

Green Hills....so right....happens daily and such a shame. I was lucky to have called when I did.

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:36 am

Dear Fandi from Sorida,

I was out with your buddy Frank the other night and he said he might keep Gulfstream in tents forever.

Hope you are well and we all think of you in this difficult season.

I only had one mare that got blown away, she actually hopped the fence back to where she belonged. Everything in PA can jump. I may run her in the PA Hunt Cup in Nov.