Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TJ
Darley line

Desormeaux Fails Breathalyzer

Postby TJ » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 pm

UmmYeah
Starters Handicap

Postby UmmYeah » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Sounds like just a dumb move on his part.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Wow... But to place in perspective, he blew .02 which is about a drink or a beer. Doesn't seem possible that a drink would test hours later but what do I know.

UmmYeah
Starters Handicap

Postby UmmYeah » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Yeah, but these are small guys. What does he ride at? 115? His story of one drink the night before sounds a little fishy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had maybe three drinks the night before and then blew .02 at noon the next day.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:16 pm

fawk him hes a cocky fawk anyway

UmmYeah
Starters Handicap

Postby UmmYeah » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Sure, but couldn't you say that about most top jockeys?

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:51 pm

this says a couple of things.

1. he did not drink alot which is good

2. .02 would be out your system in a matter of hours. there are only 3 scenarios that you could blow a point 2.

A. he's an alcoholic and his blood alcohol level is higher than the avg persons because he never actually gets rid of the alcohol in his blood. this is not likely at all

B. He had a LOT to drink the night before and timed it wrong

C. He Just had had something to drink like within hours of the test.

so either he got really plastered the night before or he was drinking on the way to work.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:19 am

Or he had something for breakfast that he didn't realize would cause him to blow over, such as fresh grapes. The machine will misinterpret somethings as alcohol.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:15 pm

Kent D's situation with drinking has been ongoing for some time now. Looks like failing the blood alcohol test was a blessing in disguise as Kent D is finally seeking professional help. TJ
http://drf.com/news/article/114943.html

FOS
Freshman Sire

Re: Desormeaux Fails Breathalyzer

Postby FOS » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:59 pm

hi TJ...hi all

After reading the DRF article titled Desormeaux Fails Woodbine Breathalyzer, that TJ linked (and is here :arrow: ), http://drf.com/news/article/114403.html ... there are a couple of paragraphs from the article (posted in blue below) that seem to raise a question (or two :wink: ).

The maximum allowed under the breathalyzer test, which is administered by clerk of the scales Bobby Bertrand and is required to be taken by all jockeys and racing officials prior to the day's racing, is .02 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood.

Ontario Racing Commission stewards confirmed that Desormeaux had blown the .02 maximum when he arrived at approximately 12:20 p.m. and again when retested 15 minutes later.

Question is...if the maximium allowed under the breathalyzer test ... is .02 (per the article), and Desormeaux had blown the .02 maximum (per the article), why is equaling the maximum allowed (not surpassing it) considered a failed test?

Hmmm...thoughts?

Respectfully

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:51 am

Personally, whether his embarrassment at Woodbine was the cause of this, or loosing some good mounts/outfits was the trigger.....I'm glad it happened and glad he's getting help. Now that it's out in the open, he's been in trouble for a long time....if he didn't come to terms with this and seek help, he would have been finished. I wish him luck on his road to recovery. TJ

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:53 am

Maybe his treatment can help him to stop jumping off horses in races at the slightest sign of trouble. Good luck to him.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

grapes!

Postby tbrace » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:24 pm

Grapes?

Come on. All the machines now register alcohol, nothing else.

The only way grapes would register is if they had a couple of weeks to ferment in his stomach!

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:24 pm

i lived in a chem free house a few years ago. i actually stayed there long enough to where they actually trusted me (can you believe that crap?) to do drug tests on people.

the best time, god this is fun, in a bad way but still fun, saturday and friday nights 1 hour before curfew. jsut take you 10 cups and sit at the front deszt and watch the excuses fly.

i had one guy fail a test for meth and told me that he was just holding it. yeah buddy you stick with that. one guy was so drunk he fell compoletly down 2 stories of stairs and tried to get up and walk it off but lost so much blood he fell out and tried to play like nothing was wrong. that was classic. like no one say you just fall down 2 flights of stairs.

one guy was drunk and sunk out the window at night, but accidently locked himself out lol. that was pretty funny too.

but then there were some not so funny stories. one that still somewhat hunts me, caught them using in their room, they got kicked out and were both found dead in a park 2 days later.. well i take that back one was dead, one was in icu but survived.

we laught at some of the stories but at times forget how serious this can be. for some people it's no next time. the kid that dies, andrew jackson i think his name was (seriously) was no older than 21.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”

- Einstein