Do TBs ever race against QHs?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:11 pm

Thanks Regal Pleasure for your input on the breeding rules for "Appendix" Quarter Horses - I didn't realize that a "white papered" or Appendix QH could, by virtue of earning ROM credit in race or show events, then get 'regular papers'.

Am I coming away with the correct understanding of what you posted - or getting it wrong again?

IN other words to set out an example of what is perplexing me: I understand from your post that a QH born with yellow papers, i.e. and Appendix registerd QH, could go on to earn ROM in either race and/or show events, and then be 'regular' or white paperd as a Quarter Horse such that it could then be bred to a TB to produce an Appendix-QH? Shorter version can a QH, Appendix or "Regular" have two consecutive generations of TBs in direct male or direct female ancestry????

Regal Pleasure
2yo Maiden

Postby Regal Pleasure » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:54 pm

Jellac,

Yes to the breeding question. I could in effect have a horse that has gotten regular white papers but has a sire that is a TB and a dam that is 1/2 or more TB.

(Appendix is "yellow" papers. Regular registry is "white" papers.)

Is this what you were asking? :D

valerie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby valerie » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:42 pm

My old barrel horse was by Duck Dance and was 7/8 TB, was ROM on the track so got regular papers any resulting foal out of her would be almost all TB right? That is the way most of the running quarter horses are these days.

Regal Pleasure
2yo Maiden

Postby Regal Pleasure » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:08 pm

valerie wrote: That is the way most of the running quarter horses are these days.

Why is it that most people seem to think this way?
Granted here ARE a lot of race bred QHs that have a fair amount of TB fairly close up in their pedigrees, but there are also a lot that don't.