RON THE GREEK exposed potential extraordinaire in LeComte-G3

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:18 pm

hi all

Ron The Greek (by Full Mandate [by A.P. Indy]) delivered a winning performance in yesterday's LeComte Stakes-G3 (at a mile and 40 yards on the dirt) at Fairgrounds that left me more than impressed. What I saw was a WOW effort, a WOW performance...

...and I got a sense that an emphatic statement was made by a grand-looking colt (with the look of eagles) who proved much the best among the ten runners. Yes RTG got up late to win it impresively, but the DRF chart may have best described it when referencing the 2nd place finisher as...No Match (for the winner).

It appears to me that Ron The Greek not only has potential extraordinaire...but also possesses the powerhouse physical prowess plus a cool, calm, professional, let's-get-ready-to-rumble demeanor that may arguably benefit him on the classics/triple crown trail.

Yes...I was really taken by RTG yesterday. He sat waaaaay back and relaxed, waited patiently and appeared to respond perfectly when his jockey (James Graham) asked him to; then (when his rider pushed the button) the colt kicked in the afterburners, unleashed a powerful sustained drive that never stalled (not even for a nano-second), finished strong like a genuinely good horse on a mission...and appeared to have plenty left in the tank. WOW !!!

From my perspective...Ron The Greek exposed something much beyond the ordinary yesterday, something that impressed me Big-time.

What I've seen of him strongly suggests (to me anyway) that he's a VERY good one....with potential extraordinaire, that could evolve into monster talent.

It's early...but Ron The Greek has captured my imagination.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds.

Thoughts ?

Respectfully

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:13 pm

It sounds to me like the same blow-up that you use for Zenyatta. Let's see what this horse accomplishes in the next races, and if he proves the hype is justified for the one race.
Respectfully.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:25 pm

FOS, you've been touting Full Mandate like he's the second coming of Northern Dancer for years. I'm glad he finally got a good horse for you to crow about.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:22 pm

hi LB...hi Georgerz

This isn't about Full Mandate...this isn't about Zenyatta...this is about Ron The Greek.

I know exactly what I saw...and I'm telling you I saw potential extraordinaire.

No nonsense...the real deal...a potential WOW kinda horse.

Best to ya.

Respectfully

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:42 pm

lololololololololololol
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:38 am

hi bdw0617

You've indicated you watch plenty of races...did you watch the LeComte live? If so, would you be so kind to share what you saw 8) .

Best to ya.

Respectfully

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:35 am

Just watched the race. Nice move down the lane and won with his ears pricked. Looks like a colt with some room for improvement. Ran the last quarter in a shade under 24 seconds. I would say I would have to see another race or two before I would call him something special. Definitely a nice good looking colt..

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:16 pm

FWIW Gary Stevens was pretty high on Ron The Greek.

Regards,
Shergar

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 pm

If you saw his first 3 races, the Lecompte was no surprise. In his last start, the Springboard Stakes, he ran 4th, but galloped out with the winner waaaay ahead of the field. Ive been following him because he shows up close in one of my mares' pedigrees, which is pretty exciting to me.

FOS, I hope you're not the kiss of death for this colt. First it was Full Mandate, then Omega Code, then Indian Ocean, now Ron The Greek....

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:42 pm

I am SO excited FOR you, Fireslam - what a lucky duck you are to have a horse that close up in your mares pedigree - not to mention that nice one last year. Til my new broodie and her foal arrive I am living vicariously through yours.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

bdw0617
Darley line

Re: RON THE GREEK exposed potential extraordinaire in LeComt

Postby bdw0617 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:38 pm

FOS wrote:hi bdw0617

You've indicated you watch plenty of races...did you watch the LeComte live? If so, would you be so kind to share what you saw 8) .

Best to ya.

Respectfully

I saw a pretty decent horse that loves 2 turns pass a bunch of allowence sprinters that want no part of 2 turns.

everyone is hyped becuase the derby trail is finally off.

with that said, unless new shooters ship out to fair grounds hew ill win the next 2 as well. not a very solid group of horses he's beating.

he's going to beat the same group 2 more times, and peole are going to somehow think he's confirming how good he is but in reality he's just showing how bad the crop down at fair grounds is.

23.42, 46.80, 1:12.27, 1:37.76, 1:40.09

these horses were crawling home and for a horse to swoop like ThAT by them tells me not one horse in the race outside the winner wants anything to do with 2 turns at all.

the most impressive 3YO on the day there BTW was the horse that broke his maiden in the 3rd Siente El Trueno. that's going to be a pretty decent one and if he went straight to the risen star i'd give him a very long look

- Einstein

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:21 pm

hi bdw0617

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

As for the colt you like...Siente El Trueno (by City Zip), he must be plenty of horse if you like him. Being by City Zip and out of a Valid Appeal daughter though...do you expect this guy will handle a mile, and possibly beyond?

Yeah...this is the time of year when Derby fever starts to take a grip.

No fever here though when I watched the one mile Holy Bull-G3 at Gulfstream Park (on Saturday). Winslow Homer (by Unbridled's Song) won the race (1:35.97) but left me chilly. Maybe he'll become the greatest thing since the invention of the slap chop :lol: 8) ...but his action concerned me. His wasn't a very fluid mover, and looked like he could use some WD-40 :roll: to help him loosen him.

How about the 3rd race at Santa Anita on Saturday starring LeoTheLion (by Lion Heart)? He went off 4-5 (there was plenty of talk about him) in a 7 furlong MSW (short field). He sat off the leader, collared him down the lane, but needed some urging/rousing from jockey Joe Talamo before he kicked it in gear and drew away to win by 2 1/2 (in 1:22 3/5). It was a nice effort...and maybe he'll develop into something. He might be worth keeping an eye on.

Best to ya.

Respectfully

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:43 pm

I woud think that Worldly by AP Indy out of a mare that won a grade I event at 10f would just be getting cranked up at a mile and 40 yards. Also you have his 2nd dam is out of a Ribot line mare.

Then you have Citrus Kid by Lemon Drop Kid out of another Ribot Line mare. (Granted through Hoist the flag) The damire of Citrus kid did win a Group 3 in England going a mile and a half.

Theres a couple that outside of the winner certainly wants at LEAST a mile.

Regards,
Shergar

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Shergar wrote:I woud think that Worldly by AP Indy out of a mare that won a grade I event at 10f would just be getting cranked up at a mile and 40 yards. Also you have his 2nd dam is out of a Ribot line mare.

Then you have Citrus Kid by Lemon Drop Kid out of another Ribot Line mare. (Granted through Hoist the flag) The damire of Citrus kid did win a Group 3 in England going a mile and a half.

Theres a couple that outside of the winner certainly wants at LEAST a mile.

Regards,
Shergar

i've seen every last one of worldy's races. he's not a very good horse and not one i would be using as a measuring stick.

he beat a very sad group of allowence horses at fair grounds and they threw him in the stakes race.

let me put in perspective, williams kitten finished 3rd place back in the holy bull, a soundly beaten 3rd, and worldy was behind him in the kentucky jockey club stakes, both well beaten by super saver

super saver right now and to a lesser extent dry fly are the only two hores i see worth paying attention to in the mid west. the sky has no limit was a good one until he came up injuried.

there is a maiden I have my eye on but just that.

the rest is much ado about nothing IMHO. a buch of sub par stakes horses beating up on each other. someone has to win. just beucase they win doesn't make them very good.

just beucase they want to go 2 turns don't mean they are GOOD.

I'll take a good sprinter over an avg 2 turn horse in a 3YO stakes any day of the week.

I like dry fly but at the end of the day i think he's alot like silver city, I think he's a decent sprinter/miler

oaklawn is pretty bad. hope now is someone ships in. this is not a good 3YO crop here.

- Einstein

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:02 pm

You do have the advantage of having watched all of Worldly races. I did watch the JC stakes, and yes he was thumped by a very good horse in Super Saver. My thought in that was Worldly was too close to the pace.

I was NOT using Worldly as a measuring stick. I was merely pointing out there were other horses in that race that have pedigrees that would suggest their best distances would be around two turns.

Worldly did have a dream trip in the Lecomte and I was disappointed to see him hang in the stretch and get passed by others.

Sometimes an extraordinary horse can make his competitors look very ordinary. Not ready to call out that on RTG, but time will tell.

I will say that family 9b that RTG is a member of has produced quite a number of extraordinary horses.

Regards,
Shergar