Dullahan

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:40 pm

reenci wrote:now im still not set on my key horse in the derby yet...getting real close :roll: .....but Hansen will not be the leader in the derby...no no no...HE WILL BE THE STALKER ....and that will bode very well for him to get first jump on the leaders....that move works well in the derby.....Dullahan ran lights out :D ...nice exacta :D :wink:
depends on post position.

if he is stuck inside he isn't going to have a choice.
+
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

jagger
Grade III Winner

dullahan

Postby jagger » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:41 pm

I don't know. That "drop from the clouds" strategy worked pretty well for Zenyatta and many others actually.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:14 pm

zenyatta ain't walking though that starting gate my friend.

- Einstein

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:57 pm

I have to say I was more impressed with Hansen at Keeneland, no matter how the Derby plays out, Hansen is the real deal :)
Horse Radish

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:24 am

I think his best chance is to drop in and back and work out a trip, maybe up the rail like his half brother. Too bad Calvin's not up.

He will be coming late, guaranteed. There is plenty of early, tactical speed to keep the fractions fast. Hansen will run a great mile and an eighth, may gut it out for a spot on the board.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Sailor Kenshin
Starters Handicap

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:57 am

I love Hansen, and can't wait for that blue tail. But ignorant as I am, I don't think he's a distance horse. However, anything can happen.

I remember Shackleford running the race of his life in the Preakness, and not really winning much after that. I just hope he retires sound and becomes a great stud.

(I didn't take him in the Preakness, BTW. The fractiousness and washy-ness scared me off. I took---yes---SWAY AWAY. Lol. I did get Ruler on Ice in the Belmont, strictly because I heard he was a mudder.)
Somebody bet on the gray!

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:15 am

The odds of a half brother to a former KD winner winning the 2012 KD must be astronomical. Can't recall this happening in either the KD or Preakness (within my lifetime) but 1/2 siblings Jazil and Rags to Riches come to mind in the Belmont.

Lisann
Allowance Winner

Postby Lisann » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:37 am

The guy I buy sawdust from tipped me on Dullahan before has last race. Told me his doctor is one of the owners and that they've got a horse who will win the Derby.

Have to give props to my sawdust guy. He even owned a cheap claimer at one point in time.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:30 am

Shammy Davis wrote:The odds of a half brother to a former KD winner winning the 2012 KD must be astronomical. Can't recall this happening in either the KD or Preakness (within my lifetime) but 1/2 siblings Jazil and Rags to Riches come to mind in the Belmont.

Giacomo and Tiago?
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:23 am

Well, yes, but I was thinking the same race. But in the classic sense, you are absolutely right.

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:49 pm

AP Indy and Summer Squall were not too shabby for half brothers in the Classics. :)

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Sir Gaylord and Secretariat were half brothers. Sir Gaylord did not win the Derby but was the favorite going into the Derby prior to fracturing a sesamoid.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:02 pm

I agree with all of you. My "point" though is that the odds of a sibling or half-sibling winning the same TC classic race is very "slim." Think about the number of incidences when siblings and half siblings have won the same or another TC classic or the same Grade 1 stakes in the last 40 years beginning with Secretariat and Sir Gaylord and the like. Not very many. That's why it is such a big deal.

No one would happier than me to see Dullahan win the KD. I thought his last race was very professional. My thoughts on Mind That Bird are that he matured early and retired early. Hope Dullahan is not on the same schedule.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:25 pm

I think mine that bird is a LOT better than his critics give him credit for.

I think he was the most mismanaged horse of the entire decade honestly and if given a trainer who had any type of long term plan and patience he would still be running strong today.

instead he was handled by 2 trainers who say him as a meal ticket to the big show and he ran accordingly. his training routines had no rhyme or reason, i mean in retrospect lukas running MTB in the firecracker is probably the stupidest training decision i have ever seen.

he wasn't as talented as quality road, but he was a true handicap horse and on his best day you would have to have your running shoes to beat him. IMHO his best race was the preakness not the derby he wins that preakness 9 out of 10 times and is going into Belmont as a TC hopeful but rachale was just in a class by herself

what i am trying to say in a long winded way is I actually do not think he is as good as his brother was. he just has better management around him which is allowing his talents to be shown in the right way. But if you put them in the same gate in their prime MTB runs by DH going 10F on the dirt

- Einstein

bayrabicano
Allowance Winner

Postby bayrabicano » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:52 pm

bdw0617 wrote:... in retrospect lukas running MTB in the firecracker is probably the stupidest training decision i have ever seen.

because?
"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
- Michelangelo