does anyone have a derby horse yet?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

bdw0617
Darley line

does anyone have a derby horse yet?

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:56 pm

anyone?

I don';t really like anything yet but the one horse I could see putting it together and running further is creative cause still.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:01 am

too early for me to make predictions, but in the flag-waving department, I like Algorithms and Sabercat. I have the latter in my fantasy stable project, and the former is half to Justin Phillip, who I also have in that stable.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:11 am

Too early IMO. Also, of all the Bernardini's Alpha has the best "derby" pedigree IMO. Algorithms could just be a mudder or a sprinter. I am not writing Hansen off yet(unlike others). Then there is Union Rags who I don't think has a Derby pedigree(my problem is his sire) but you never know until the running is done. I really don't have a Derby horse yet and probably won't until March/April.
Last edited by diomed on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jorge

Re: does anyone have a derby horse yet?

Postby Jorge » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:55 am

bdw0617 wrote:anyone?

I don't really like anything yet but the one horse I could see putting it together and running further is creative cause still.

I tend to agree with "bdw0617" regarding Creative Cause because of his powerful pedigree. The Vigors-lookalike Hansen looks more like a miler to me (perhaps up to 9 furlongs with age) than a 10 furlongs Derby horse.
Wishful thinking is one thing and factual reality is another. Sure would I like Hansen to become a solid Derby contender but reality dictates different in my analysis.

Perhaps a couple of top-notch, top-pedigree aspirants may appear during the next two months, including a couple of European performers. Or who knows if one of the overlooked also-rans may transform into a Prince Valiant and we may realize what a fine pedigree he had after all. :D

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Every time I see Union rags I just keep thinking "Circular Quay". He just seems like a clone of that horse. very good he seems best like he will be a late closing one turn sprinter (alot like sway away).

this may very well be the year a euro wins the derby, with all of horses looking more and more like sprinters... humm

- Einstein

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:51 pm

In moving from a test of capable 3 y os with established credentials and running style to a free-for-all of young horses with a maiden win + enough earnings to get them in, the Kentucky Derby has become less a horse race and more a game of chance.

I have to admit to losing interest.
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Jorge wrote:

I don't really like anything yet but the one horse I could see putting it together and running further is creative cause still.

Perhaps a couple of top-notch, top-pedigree aspirants may appear during the next two months, including a couple of European performers. Or who knows if one of the overlooked also-rans may transform into a Prince Valiant and we may realize what a fine pedigree he had after all. :D

Interestingly, Prince Valiant himself was a Derby contender back in the early 80's for Greentree and he did have a fine pedigree. Think he won a prep or two that year....

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Bast wrote:In moving from a test of capable 3 y os with established credentials and running style to a free-for-all of young horses with a maiden win + enough earnings to get them in, the Kentucky Derby has become less a horse race and more a game of chance.

I have to admit to losing interest.
i agree

I predict that if we don't' get serious about our derby the euros are going to start handing it to us dispute the lack of dirt pedigree. at some point it doesn't matter what you prefer if you can only run 7F

that horse, was it a filly, that closed like a freight train in the bc juvenille sprint. i wonder what her pedigree is like

- Einstein

Sailor Kenshin
Starters Handicap

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Jorge wrote:

I tend to agree with "bdw0617" regarding Creative Cause because of his powerful pedigree. The Vigors-lookalike Hansen looks more like a miler to me (perhaps up to 9 furlongs with age) than a 10 furlongs Derby horse.
Wishful thinking is one thing and factual reality is another. Sure would I like Hansen to become a solid Derby contender but reality dictates different in my analysis.

I'd go for Hansen, too, but unfortunately, I think his last race proves otherwise.
Somebody bet on the gray!

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:17 pm

I like creative cause pedigree, both sides, I like the trainer even more and I like the fact they didn't go too hard on him as a 2YO.

if he can get back to his norfolk win, he is legit and will run all day

- Einstein

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Union Rags for me

Postby Affirmed1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:24 am

He was one jump short of being 2 year old champion. He looks to me like he will run farther. :)

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

less a horse race and more a game of chance

Postby stancaris » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:13 pm

I disagree with that statement-- less a horse race and more a game of chance. I think the race is still a horse race and not a game of chance. The only difference nowadays is that the usual Derby winner is a horse that breaks its maiden in Sept or Later. In olden times the Derby winner almost always broke its maiden in May, June, or July. In the last 12 years almost all Derby winners were not dual qualifiers.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Cozzetti has the pedigree and is a late rusher who finished
very close among stakes company. But, yikes, imagine a son of the late Cozzene winning the Derby at this stage of his forgotten career. Hmmm, no so probable :?: but who knows :wink: .

COZZETTI (gray/ro colt 2009)
http://www.pedigreequery.com/cozzetti

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:57 pm

i like Algorithms

Bernardini, inbreeding to Fappiano. Can rally late. I like

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Jorge wrote:Cozzetti has the pedigree and is a late rusher who finished
very close among stakes company. But, yikes, imagine a son of the late Cozzene winning the Derby at this stage of his forgotten career. Hmmm, no so probable :?: but who knows :wink: .

COZZETTI (gray/ro colt 2009)
http://www.pedigreequery.com/cozzetti

Very interesting pattern in this one

http://www.pedigreequery.com/la+pascua

the inbreeding here is no accident. Love the Sir Gaylord and Turn To.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.