Will we have too many Bernardini's?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Will we have too many Bernardini's?

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 am

Greetings all,

Something struck me yesterday as I was perusing the different farms in KY that show their new foals born, etc...

Anyway, it seemed as if every other foal was by Bernardini. The boy's been busy, but is this going to jump up and bite everyone as the pedigrees expand?
Are they going to eventually run into breeding problems as time progresses and IS he that good of a sire? I know he's Slew grandson (great grandson?) and all, but he's no Seattle Slew, and back when there was an issue of too many Seattle Slews, flooding the industry with tons of Slew sons at stud.
:?:
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 am

Run a "search" here and you'll find people asking the same question not so long ago when Storm Cat was the flavor of the season. It's cyclical.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:56 am

You just don't stop do you? Even when I tried to make friends with you!

Guess what??? I asked it again, because there has BEEN A NEW FOAL CROP BEING BORN AS I SPEAK!

Stop being a grouch and either ignore my posts or be silenced please. I wish I had the time to sit on this forum ready to attack like you do, but I don't. Sorry, well, no, I'm not. I asked a plain ole question, answer if you please! :lol:

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:57 am

I do think Patuxet is correct though, this has happened before, and it will happen again. They weed themselves out by either being good or not, and if they are no good, then people stop breeding to them.

I wouldn't worry too much.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:52 pm

erhrdt3 wrote:You just don't stop do you? Even when I tried to make friends with you!

Guess what??? I asked it again, because there has BEEN A NEW FOAL CROP BEING BORN AS I SPEAK!

Stop being a grouch and either ignore my posts or be silenced please. I wish I had the time to sit on this forum ready to attack like you do, but I don't. Sorry, well, no, I'm not. I asked a plain ole question, answer if you please! :lol:

It's amazing how often you yell at people who give you a good answer, just because it's not the answer you want.

I also agree with Patuxet. But if you'd prefer a plain ole answer to match your "plain ole question", here it is: no

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:03 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: Good Heavens, such snobbery.

I stated that I noticed THIS years crop of foals I had seen so far that have been born are alot of Bernardini's! Not last, not the year before, or before....

Pax has an attitude toward me and I tried to make friends with him even after I rec'd hate letters from him. Should turn them over to the moderators.

When asking a ? is against the law, then I will stop, until then either freakin' ignore it and don't take the energy to respond. I am taking the well welcomed advice of a very wise person on here reg. this. Thank you, you know who!

And I was not 'yelling' at anyone, just trying to emphasize what I meant, this year. Life's too short to yell at anyone! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:05 pm

erhrdt3 wrote:And I was not 'yelling' at anyone

All capital letters = yelling

Lighten up.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:10 pm

all capitals in an entire post=yelling

capitals/one in a sentence, emphasis

Not everybody knows everything.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:53 pm

I recently doubted Bernadini's prowess as a "great" sire.

As someone mentioned its like storm cat progeny.

Never got the storm cat think either.

No son of AP Indy or Storm Cat has won the KY Derby.

But as the saying goes a fool and their money are easily parted.

People say the real money is in getting a Derby or Breeders Cup classic horse, sales statistics would say otherwise.

In most other Sports/business' there is nothing more commercial than success.

This goes out the window in horse racing when you have people with cheque books bigger than their egos.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:57 pm

Personally I wish I had a barn full of em:>) TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:34 pm

Give it 2 years and we should now for definite.

His numbers are looking shaky at present and with Sheikh Mo currently buying up them and consigning them to the graveyard that is his racing stable I don't predict a bright future.
Edited by Moderator

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:56 pm

Agree with you Dublino. In a couple years there are going to be nothing BUT Bernardini's around. As I had tried to say, on the farm sites, most of the mares have another Bernardini foal.

Makes one wonder what Barbaro would have been like had the poor fellow not broken down? IMHO, he was better than Bernie.

And what about Invasor, Dublino, whats the thought on him? Has he been sucessful?

Thank you Dublino :wink:

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:28 pm

OK, I just have to ask.... with an expected North American foal crop of about 25,000, how exactly do you figure a horse that breeds less than 150 mares a year will be responsible for future crops of "nothing but Bernardini foals"?

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:16 am

Read my first post at the beginning of this thread.

25K horses a year? That's very sad, I thought the numbers were said to have been going down a bit.

Is every person that brings such horses into the world responsible for them? No, because the snobs just want to make money and who cares what happens to the innocent horse. Not to mention that number is just for a single year; what does happen to the rest of them? Hmmmm......

We are proud to say that every horse we have we are responsible for them until their dying day. You have to love them and be willing to take care of them if you decide to bring them into the world. Those that think they are discardible 'things' are truly sick people.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:20 am

I agree if Barbaro hadn't broken down Bernardini wouldn't have won his Preakness.

Invasor isn't have the sire he was a runner.

Only for Sheikh Hamdans wealth he would have been banished from Kentucky.

150 mares a year is 100 more than my likening.

I would like it to go back to the old days were stallions covered less than 50 mares a year and no shuttling also.

Take Frankel as an example he is only covering 40 G1 winning mares or producers the rest are also rans.
Edited by Moderator