Automatic Kty Derby berth from Japan?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Automatic Kty Derby berth from Japan?

Postby Aug27 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:04 pm

The folks on TVG said there will be a starter from Japan guaranteed following their Hyacynth Stakes ... Apparently based on their own points system.
This is the first I have heard of this, and my first reaction was "why take away a stall from an American breeder?".
Your thoughts?

TJ
Darley line

Re: Automatic Kty Derby berth from Japan?

Postby TJ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Aug27 wrote:The folks on TVG said there will be a starter from Japan guaranteed following their Hyacynth Stakes ... Apparently based on their own points system.
This is the first I have heard of this, and my first reaction was "why take away a stall from an American breeder?".
Your thoughts?

Hi Aug,
Yes especially if the 2YO turning 3 who won the Cattleya Sho wins the Hyacinth....his name is Mont Saint Legame and is sired by Came Home. We had Lani earn his spot into the Derby and he showed to be a decent horse. So it really doesn't bother me to see another one or possibly 2 find there way here. What does bother me is Mont Saint Legame who received 40 points for winning a 2YO event while only allowing our 2YO BC Juvenile winner 20 points for the win....that seems a bit unfair to award that many points to a 2YO winner. This next race, the Hyacinth will be worth 50 points to the winner. So there is a possibility that two or more will be eligible for the Derby as the 2nd place finisher, Caucus received 16 points in the Cattleya Sho. This is not counting the points others horses might amass in the Hyacinth....a bit unfair since that one 2YO win catapulted Mont Saint Legame to the top of the Derby points list with 40 points and the 16 Caucus has, settles him in at the 5th spot in front of McCraken and Irish War Cry who each have 10 points. The good news is our 50 point races are starting Feb. 25th with the Risen Star and there will be enough points available for American horses to earn there way to the Derby. TJ

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:39 am

Hi TJ,
I think the points are in two separate pools ... the Japan runners are only competing with themselves, if I understand the arrangement correctly. So, their top point-getter is the winner of the automatic berth, and the other Japan horses do not get in, regardless of their point totals.
Apparently, Churchill wants to get into the Japan wagering market, and this was their method ...
According to a DRF article from last September I found with a google search

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Aug27 wrote:Hi TJ,
I think the points are in two separate pools ... the Japan runners are only competing with themselves, if I understand the arrangement correctly. So, their top point-getter is the winner of the automatic berth, and the other Japan horses do not get in, regardless of their point totals.
Apparently, Churchill wants to get into the Japan wagering market, and this was their method ...
According to a DRF article from last September I found with a google search

Hi Aug,
Thanks for the correction, you are correct. As you said, they will allow only one runner from Japan to compete in the Derby. The only horse that can knock out Mont Saint Legame (who is owned by Japanese interests) is Caucus (owned by Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum). They further specify if the top point runner doesn't accept the invitation to the Derby, it will be offered to the 2nd highest point earner. If that horse doesn't accept it goes to the third...if that finisher declines, the invitation will be withdrawn. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:41 am

With both Mont Saint Legame and Caucus off the board in the Hyacinth, winner Epicharis (who was favored to win) picked up 50 points and won a spot in the Derby if he accepts the invitation. Adirato was 2nd, Hypernova 3rd and Foggy Night 4th. The top 3 points earners in the Japan pool are Epicharis 50 pts., Mont Saint Legame 40 pts. and Adirato 20 pts. All 3 of the top Japan pool earners may run back in the UAE Derby worth 100-40-20-10 points across the board in the main Derby points race schedule to be run on March 25 at Meydan. TJ