Belmont Park Closing for Renovations

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

Belmont Park Closing for Renovations

Postby murphysmom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Thoughts on Belmont Park closing for renovations for up to TWO years? Are they going to start the Belmont Stakes from the turn at Aqueduct like in 1963? And....extend the Saratoga meet by perhaps five weeks?

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Re: Belmont Park Closing for Renovations

Postby Heidilady » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:03 pm

I've yet to see an article say it's full on closing, but I'm sure I could've missed something. I just saw articles saying it could take up to two years to renovate things like the stands and track (but the biggest overhauls are things like nearby sites on the Belmont property). As I recall, they're putting in a new turf course where the inner track is. If Santa Anita could whip it around and install a new dirt track in time for the next meet, I don't see that Belmont has to tweak its current dirt track and take two years off to do it. They limited the number allowed in the stands for American Pharoah's Triple Crown bid so maybe they'll either get it ready to hold the meet, then restart renovations or they could just block some areas off here and there as they work on them until Belmont Stakes Day.

There'd be much more public wigging out if the Belmont Stakes weren't going to be at Belmont for two years. I haven't heard that.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"