Hoosier Race 1

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

Roguelet

Hoosier Race 1

Postby Roguelet » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:40 am

We have one running tonight in the first at Hoosier Park. He's one of those horses who hasn't had any good luck so far, we're hoping that changes this season. I'm told he's training well, so I hope to see something good out of him, even though this may not be his best distance.

His name is Dark Nemesis; he's 4-1 morning line...
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

SueTru
Newborn

Congrats!

Postby SueTru » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:14 pm

Congrats on the 2nd place!
(and thank you for the $32-something exacta....)

BTW, I'm the one who met you briefly at the Indiana sale, and confessed to "lurking" here for several years. We learned a lot and met some very nice people (and many lovely horses). Not quite ready to buy yet, and just learned how much more there IS to learn!

best wishes for Dark Nemesis in the future.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:12 pm

Yes, CONGRATULATIONS.. 2nd is a very decent place to be!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:16 pm

Sounds like a very promising result. Congratulations.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:21 am

Thanks, everyone.

SueTru, were you there? Did you see the race? TVG didn't show Hoosier that night and HRTV showed Hoosier starting with race 2, and we were, of course, in race 1. :roll: We couldn't make it out there, but our trainer called after the race and said that Dark Nemesis really should have won. I guess the rider filed an objection for interference down the stretch; he said Dark Nemesis was bumped and pushed around several times, but the objection was disallowed. Did you see any of that? The chart says he was "in tight from just inside the eigth pole to nearly the sixteenth pole, altered to the outside and just missed." It stinks that he lost out by only a neck, but it sounds like he didn't back down from the challenge, so I'm very pleased with his effort.

Also, it was nice to meet you at the sale, and I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you a bit more. You saw me at the one and only time I was able to be at our yearling's stall, and I was there only long enough to change him into his sale halter. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the sale, if you don't mind... just anything you noticed as an observer, things that you think could have made the sale better, etc.

Oh, and I'm glad Dark Nemesis made you some money on the exacta... that's cool! I don't bet on my own horses (I'm afraid it will jinx them since I always lose when I bet,) so I'm glad someone was able to profit off of him! :wink:

SueTru
Newborn

Postby SueTru » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:20 am

Hi, Roguelet--
Yes we were there and did see the race. I am so sorry you missed it. I loved having a specific horse to watch! I was hoping to watch you in the winner's circle.

Although I am not by any means as experienced as you are at watching a race and really SEEING it......We were up midway in the stands so we could see the whole track. Several horses were packed together for a bit right at the top of the turn, so much so that I couldn't pick him out but knew he was in there. Then after the turn the two were very close, and I would describe them as "jostling" but I don't know enough to say it was interference. From my angle, I couldn't see if the other horse was tending to move into yours (if so, remember that for future races!). It looked to me like both horses wanted the same line. I felt your jockey checked him up a little to get clear running room, but maybe swung out would be more accurate.

He was running hard and in my opinion the close company did not put him off like it sometimes does a young horse. Maybe he's run in a crowd before? At the end I had two thoughts--he might have won if he'd been a little wider after the turn. Or, he might have been pushing himself extra hard due to the challenge! And I think it was less than a neck--it was an exciting finish. (and not just because I had the right exacta boxed...!)

No doubts he can handle himself in a crowd and didn't give up when challenged. He is going to be FUN to watch.

On the sale--my persepective is that of First Time at a Thoroughbred Auction. (but been at Arabian auctions years ago) We are planning to buy to race but not quite ready--doing the due-diligence homework. As we are just up the road in Fort Wayne, it was too close to miss.

My thoughts--operationally complicated by being at the track. A plus for the stalls and for the few that worked horses under saddle. But a big minus for having to wait until the track closed to set up the seating and sales ring. When visiting the other barn that had regular residents plus the sales horses, stable workers were protective and irked at the traffic, (can't say I blame 'em) but it was hard to view sales horses.

People don't tend to comment out loud on the pluses so take the minor negatives I heard with a grain of salt--would have been nice to be able to print the whole catalog from the web site at once vs one hip at a time. (but great that it was ON the web!) Several comments on the lack of seating during the late morning, which was before you could set up chairs outside. Hip numbers on butts earlier in the day so horses could be identified when out of their stall. Hard to hear the auction and some confusion over sold vs unsold. Slow pace early in the auction, too much time spent trying to get the bidding going.

Positive comments we heard--plenty of catalogs and it was easy to find horses due to the handy stall listing sheets. Reasonably quick getting bidder numbers despite so many lining up at once. More than one said it was good they were collecting ID information like driver's license for followup if needed--I guess that wasn't done before? Good to be able to see some of the horses in training galloped on the track.

I was dismayed at the low & lack of bids for some horses, esp. pregnant mares w/ foal at side, and the yearlings. I would have thought people would be planning for next year & beyond for Indiana racing due to the new slot $$$$.

We didn't stay for the whole thing and left before your colt went in the ring. I'm sorry you were too busy to see him yourself!

In my humble and not-yet-fully-educated opinion----you personally were overworked and should have had more help, it is not fair you didn't have time to even SEE your colt in the ring much less prep him the way you would have liked.

My personal take-away--I am glad we went, and even my non-horsy husband enjoyed it. (but he liked the races more....)

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:40 am

Thank you for taking the time to type up such an informative post! I appreciate your thoughts on the race, since I didn't get to see it. It's disappointing when you're THAT close to a win and don't get it, but at the same time I have to be pretty proud of the horse; sounds like he did the best job he could do with the racing luck he received.

Also, thank you for your comments on the sale. We will be discussing the sale and all it's good and bad aspects at our upcoming meeting, and it's good to hear what some of the buzz around the track was so we can determine what we need to change in the future to make the sale the best that it can be. We'll never be Keeneland, but we do want everyone to be as happy as possible.

Let me know when you're ready to jump into ownership. :wink:

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:19 am

Dark Nemesis will go again on Wednesday. Hoosier Race 1 again. Anyone care to handicap?

Hoosier Park - September 26th, 2007 - Race 1
Estimated Local Post Time: 6:10 PM
Race Type: Maiden Special Weight
Breed: Thoroughbred
Age Restriction: Three, Four and Five Year Old
Restriction: State Bred Purse: $16,500
Distance: Six Furlongs
Surface: Dirt
Post Horse Name Age Sex Weight Jockey Name
1 Dr. Blue Groom (IN) 4 Colt 123 (No Rider)
2 July Wheat (IN) 4 Colt 123 (No Rider)
3 Sound Catcher (IN) 3 Colt 117 Jorge G. Bracho
4 Iron Hoof (IN) 3 Gelding 117 Alberto Pusac
5 Noble Jones (IN) 3 Gelding 117 Carlos Sanchez
6 Heed the Warning (IN) 3 Gelding 117 Julio E. Felix
7 Country Magic (IN) 5 Horse 118 Gerardo Martin
8 Act Like Fappiano (IN) 5 Horse 123 Jose J. Delgado
9 Dark Nemesis (IN) 4 Gelding 123 Orlando Mojica
10 Typhoonigator (IN) 4 Colt 123 Guadalupe Macias, Jr.
AE Littleballoffire (IN) 3 Gelding 117 Emanuel Cosme
AE Overdrive Clyde (IN) 3 Gelding 112 Gerardo Martin

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:45 am

I will my fingers crossed for you and your horse.
Good luck anyway

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:14 am

BenB wrote:I will my fingers crossed for you and your horse.
Good luck anyway

Thank you Ben, and congrats on your recent win... maybe some of your luck will rub off on me! :wink:

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:49 am

I certainly do hope so.

PS Mellanie will start next sunday in germany on my birthday. So please leave a tiny little bit of luck for us

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:41 am

when I say I watch every race I possibly can, I really do watch every race I can.. including Hoosier park :)

Dark Nemesis was very impressive considering it was his first out in a long time. or so I can tell. I take it he likes to be taken to the front. He was pressed every step of the way last out and held on for a somewhat close 2nd. cant' ask for more than that first time out.

Iron Hoof is going to get overbet on the cutback. He hasn't raced within what...6 lenghts of the winner in the last 3 races, and I don't like he just had a race last week that he showed up poorly in. this horse NEEDS a class drop.. ut bettors iwll see he showed early speed in last and faded and will be the wise guy overlay.. I wuldn't worry about him. He would just have to beat me

Heed the Warning looking at his works is going to need a couple ot get back in the swing of things.

Act Like Fappiano will be bet down because of the decent showing last out.. however I'm wreay of this horse... if you actually look at the race he never was in it and inherited ground, didn't make any up. head looked like a bobble head down coming down the stretch and he coudln't run straight. and he raced last week. If he beats me he beats me. But I'm not etting on him to win

Typhoonigator is you biggest threat. would have broke maiden at first asking if not for a sturborn as hell Moro Prospector.. just would NOT let him pass under any circumstances.

Okay, handicapping this is how I would play this race. IMHO, unkowns be as they may.. I can only take two horses seriously. Yours and Typhoonigator. usually i like a horse with higher odds but it is what it is.

This is what I don't like about your horse (not that I don't like him but you get where I'm coming from)... he tired last out and is stretching out. Now, putting my thinking cap on, last race was ovbiously a work race and I bet you were probably pleasantly suprised at how well he did. This race was probably the original goal, so he should show vast improvement.

Typhoonigator had a 5 wide trip last out the whole trip and lost by a head.

I'd be shocked if you at least didn't come in 2nd.

Typhoonigator is going to go off as the Fav because of the "grow up play". If you horse dropped down to say...9/2.. I"m all in. I don't think the last race, although good, showed the best he can do. Also, typhoonigator is going to have to go wide the whole trip again, he hast he outside post.. so he 's not a slam dunk

also, there is not a hell of alot of speed for typhoonigator to run at.. your horse is the only one with a real shot that goes to the lead. should get a lot easier trip than last

all in all, this is a race 9/10 times I'd stay out unless you got sick odds on one of the two.

If you just HAD to bet the race, I'd look at the exacta payouts, and see which paid more on top and bet accordingly. But nah.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:54 am

Thanks, bdw... I don't bet on my own horses (the jinx thing) but I know some others who will be betting him tonight. I hope he pulls it out this time. He's a nice horse but he's had nothing but bad luck. He deserves to get his picture taken at SOME point! :lol: His dam was an amazing racehorse who did her best racing as a 5YO. Of course, we didn't own her while she was racing, but we have a video of that entire season, and it's just incredible to watch. If he ended up with half of her talent, we'll be OK.

Now, I'm off to see if TVG or HRTV will show the race tonight... I won't be able to go once again (darn those early mornings and kids in school!) :wink:

mlwinter
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mlwinter » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:20 pm

Roguelet,

You are gonna have to start just packin' those kiddos with you, just like I have too everywhere. You can't afford to not get you photo taken when your horse wins by as much as yours did tonight. Congrats!

Woooohoooo!!!!! He wins MSW!!!!!!! :lol:

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:05 pm

congrats rogue!!!
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)