Punc got her gate card

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

madelyn

Punc got her gate card

Postby madelyn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:16 pm

Miss Punctuality has been working on learning about the starting gate and today she shot out of the gate so fast and straight that she dropped the rider. :D

We are on target for a first race toward the end of July, maybe at Ellis Park.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Go Punc

Postby Denise » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:33 am

Another milestone for you, Madelyn! Tell the rider to grab a hunk of mane next time. :shock:
Congrats!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:03 am

:lol: Thanks Denise. I think he was leaning forward getting the gate to produce a nice BIG clang -- my trainer absolutely NEVER bubbles. But he could not stop talking about this two year old filly -- who stands perfectly quiet in the gate, doesn't need anyone to hold her, or to lead her in, and has learned to rocket out and go straight. He says she will break well in her first start, and break on top. Hopefully her jockey will be ready for it!

The value of being sort of short-handed (my trainer never wastes money on ponies and such) is that the horse ends up with so much more training. The horse has to do stuff on its own, without a pony or a person on the ground. I have an old gelding that we will use to teach a few to pony, though, since they DO need to know how to do that.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Denise » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:35 pm

It is extremely valuable to have to school a horse in many different ways, whether it's driven by being shorthanded or just being old school! Clearly, Punc has been handled beautifully because the thing that scares many horses, the gate, doesn't faze her a bit. I can't wait to see her make a start, because she seems to want to run.
People really underestimate the value of careful, firm, non-threatening handling of babies and juveniles. Amazing how they adapt to trust the people who are on top of them every day.
Funny you mention the pony thing: Spider hated being on the pony (probably an ego thing) at the track for two years, and got reschooled by one his trainer was riding right next to him at a point to point. He's been an angel about it ever since. Who says you can't teach an older horse old tricks? :D