first work to first race

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

first work to first race

Postby mehile » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:30 am

On average how long does it take a horse to get from it's first official work to it's first race?

I realize it will vary widely from horse to horse but my mare's first foal of racing age put in her first work yesterday. I'm anxious now to see her run. patience patience though, right? :)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:31 pm

In my experience that is quite heavily dependent upon the trainer; however some tracks require three published works for a maiden to be allowed to enter. If that is the case where the horse is located, you are at least three or four weeks away, if the trainer works once a week / once in ten - plus there has to be a race in the condition book that the horse will fit in.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:38 pm

If your horse just did her first work was it a work from the gate? I'm going to assume she has her gate card and is staying sound. A trainer may just work on her fitness for the next 4-6 weeks if he/she knows she is going to come back sound after her first work. But talk to the boss and she what he/she thinks about where the filly will be comfortable and competitive. Not every horse is a MSW60k winner first time out but a first time start has the advantage of crushing the field in a soft race if the works have been decent.

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Crystal wrote:If your horse just did her first work was it a work from the gate? I'm going to assume she has her gate card and is staying sound. A trainer may just work on her fitness for the next 4-6 weeks if he/she knows she is going to come back sound after her first work. But talk to the boss and she what he/she thinks about where the filly will be comfortable and competitive. Not every horse is a MSW60k winner first time out but a first time start has the advantage of crushing the field in a soft race if the works have been decent.

This is her: http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHors ... registry=T

She's not mine, I bought her dam at the beginning of this year. I had the filly on my virtual stable and got the notice yesterday about her having her first work. I don't know who her trainer/owner is. I was curious if she would make her first start at thistledown but since there meet ends on nov 5 I guess that makes it unlikely.