Racing Thursday Night at Turfway

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

madelyn

Racing Thursday Night at Turfway

Postby madelyn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:21 pm

I have the #6 in the 7th race, Carmen Electrick. Been a long rocky road but she is finally ready for her first start. $21K MSW. Please wish us luck!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Best of luck, hope you pick up a win check, but most important. I hope your horse races safe and returns sound.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Good Luck! Hope she does good. Somebody did a good job naming her, Carmen Electrick is pretty cool. Sounds like a winner.

Jeff

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks, I named her. She is a homebred. Every year in January I flail about looking up names and rushing around to not miss the deadline and I am the first to firmly admit, I am not creative. I got some static from my voters (family) about it and the Jockey Club at first rejected it, but I stuck to my guns on this one and Carmen Electrick is one sleek, sexy filly.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Well I shall be watching with interest Madelyn. I see that her works are sporadic but the mileage she has done at River Downs should stand her in good stead. Whatever happens I am sure that the race will bring her along a great deal.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:21 am

Thanks wilf. There are a few works in her history that were not works/miscommunication - the recent 4f at Turfway on the poly was a work, but she has never been pushed. She had a couple in company and she gets aggressive and stays with/ahead of the company. She has her gate card. Somehow she is in the entries as belonging to someone else and I will have to get that sorted out. I plan to be there anyhow. We've got a veteran rider on her. We will see what happens.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Good luck!

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Ok what happened? I waited to watch and you were a scratch, let's hope it's not serious.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:53 pm

I think it was the Lasix. She had a really bad reaction. She flipped over twice in the paddock and then also reared up and sat on her butt in the saddling stall. We had to wait until the race was run, and then back at the barn she was all jittery, couldn't eat or drink, constantly headshaking, pacing weaving, etc. The track vet is writing us an exemption from "first time starters will run on Lasix" and we are scheduling a paddock schooling before her next entry date.

She had only one minor scrape on her and today, she is just fine. No ill effects. I told her last night she should not ever show her tatas like that in the paddock.

Carmen is a reallly FIT filly, with not really any fat on her. I think Lasix is a great shortcut to prevent overweight under-conditioned horses from bleeding but requiring all horses to run on it is a bit over the top.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:15 pm

I would humbly suggest that she should have been paddock schooled at least once before having her first start and if she was going to run on lasix she should have worked after being treated with it. Hopefully this traumatic event does not blow her mind completely.Did you say that first time starters must run on lasix? That sounds insane and from your description of her behaviour after the race it sounds like she had concussion.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Where is the ruling that says first time starters have to run on Lasix? Ive never heard of such a thing. I looked at some past charts at Turfway, and theres lots of first time starters that didnt use Lasix.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:20 am

wilf wrote:I would humbly suggest that she should have been paddock schooled at least once before having her first start and if she was going to run on lasix she should have worked after being treated with it. Hopefully this traumatic event does not blow her mind completely.Did you say that first time starters must run on lasix? That sounds insane and from your description of her behaviour after the race it sounds like she had concussion.

I so agree, and tactfully communicated that to the trainer. And while it IS in the condition book for Turfway that first time starters run on Lasix, I am not certain about its enforcement. Either way, we have gotten a vet's cert that she doesn't have to run on Lasix. I thought it might have been a concussion, but watching video she never hit her head.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:09 am

I have that condition book, and there is NOTHING in there that states first time starters have to run on Lasix. It says:

810 KAR 1:027, Entries, Subscriptions and Declarations
KRS 230.210 to 230.60, Section 3
(c) Horses requiring the use of medication, drugs or substances to prevent Exercise
Induced Pulmonary Hemorrhaging (EIPH)/bleeding must be registered as such
with the commission Veterinarian. Horses so registered shall remain, and removal
requires Kentucky Horse Racing Commission Veterinarian approval. After
inclusion no additional notification shall be required. Horses not properly
registered will not be permitted to race with anti-bleeder medications, drugs or
substances. Registration must be made prior to entry. The racing program will
indicate usage.
1) To run your horse on Lasix:
A) If your horse's previous start was on Lasix in Kentucky
and you wish to run on Lasix, enter on Lasix; 4
B) If your horse has never run on Lasix in Kentucky, or
your horse is a First Time Starter, enter on Lasix.
2) All changes thereafter must be approved by the Stewards and/or a Kentucky

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:35 am

Sometimes I think some trainers got into that business because SAT scores, reading comprehension and communication-with-humans skills were not high on the qualifications list.. That COULD be interpreted to mean, B) First time starters run on Lasix, taken out of context, that you have to do that. Seriously, I didn't know "we" were running on Lasix until after she had been given the shot and there was nothing to be done. I had concerns then, but I didn't get to Turfway until about 2 hrs before post.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:42 am

I didnt want to bust on your trainer, but I do think reading comprehension is at issue here. Ive had horses with reactions to Lasix too, so I feel your pain. Hopefully next time she will do better, and I hope she sees the paddock a few times before she runs next time.