An encouraging week

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

An encouraging week

Postby RandomThoughts » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Ran two homebreds this week:
)1 My first time starter 3yo who has shown some flash named Lucky Inspiration did just about everything wrong including a gate tantrum, getting into traffic troubles, and looking into the grandstand on his wrong lead and he still got up for second.
)2 My old 6yo who has had a string of issues over the years named Jamie's Valentine, was sandwiched between 3 competitors most of the way in his second start of the year but still pulled out a game win while racing a level up from his conditions. Paid $87 to win.

My operation is so small that I'm completely ignored particularly when I'm running against the big name stables. The local commentator's comment on Valentine's win was "Bombs Away!"
The talented ones will give you an early hint.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:47 am

Good for you!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Well Michael you must be doing something right as the stable is on fire right now. You prepped the older horse well and his first race back obviously brought him along a ton as he really improved. Why your first timer was the longshot astounds me as it's works were excellent. As you said you were overlooked against the big guys at Delaware.Maybe they will give you a second glance now, I certainly will.

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Postby RandomThoughts » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 pm

Wilf:
I think I'd call it more like a flicker than an fire, but we're making progress. My training philosophy is like the Hippocratic Oath: Above all, do no harm. I don't push, I let them describe themselves to me.

If I can get Lucky more focused, he will be my 9th Maiden Special winner or better from 10 homebred foals since I got back into the business about a dozen years ago with a small farm in your neighborhood on 225A.

Thanks for the kind words.

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

A step back

Postby RandomThoughts » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:56 am

Ran my 3yo, Lucky Inspiration, last week and he got hooked right out of the gate and ended up finishing 3rd. Got another piece to the puzzle and I need to make a few adjustments with him as we go forward.

Got too ambitious and ran my 6yo, Jamie's Valentine, up two levels in a $25-30K claimer. As often happens in one of these, a horse jumped out of the bushes and ran a 44 1/5, 1:09 2/5, blowing the rest of the field away by 8. My guy ran his race and finished 5th out of 8, beaten 12 lengths. One of the effects of the developing horse shortage is that there are far less rungs in the class ladder and you are often forced to run out of your conditions.

I predict that many of the kamikaze claiming barns that chronically run their horses under their true class levels are going to regret it soon when they are faced with the choice of empty stalls or paying up for more expensive replacement stock out of the sales, as foal crops plunge.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Yes these certainly are strange days in the racing game. On a brighter note West Virginia is joining the Mid-lantic tracks as far as medication rules thereby providing some kind of uniformity at last. Now we shall observe how the order changes over there.