Comedy at Turfway Park

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

madelyn

Comedy at Turfway Park

Postby madelyn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:26 am

On New Year's Eve my little red horse, Musica Con Brio, had the misfortune to be #2 in the 2nd race at Turfway Park. The back gate was not closed behind the 5 or 7 horses and the 9 horse was a length or so out being led into the gate when they POPPED IT and started the race. The 9 horse dragged his gate man through the gate and tossed him off as he flew into the field. Three jockeys fell off, two straight at the gate and one later and it was just the most terrifying thing to watch. My jock was hanging on around the horse's neck for 3/8 with no stirrups and he was literally just another loose horse. Riders were grabbing all over for anything to hang onto as they tried to regain balance. There were only three with riders fully seated. The loose horses ran with the field and turned around and ran back through it all a big lark for them.

I got onto the track to get my horse and, unbelievably, they posted the first four horses and the red "OFFICIAL" sign was posted. The #1 horse was in the winner's circle with his connections getting pictures taken. But in the race at the half pole the caller was warning "Hold All Tickets" and I guess the Racing Office phones lit up and finally, quietly, it was declared "No Contest" and the race was voided. The Racing Secretary repeated to me, without thinking must be my only guess, the party line he had been fed that the gate did that on its own :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: so my next question was did they plan to cancel the next 7 races so they could repair it? Eventually it was admitted that a gate crew member, who had no business being over where the button was on the outside rail, had stumbled and accidentally stomped on it. I wonder if there was New Year's Eve celebrating involved.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Comedy at Turfway Park

Postby Georgerz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:36 am

I am happy that none (people or horses) got injured, it was really dangerous.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:40 am

Your horse is a direct descendant of Natalma, and has some very interesting names in his immediate family tree.

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:15 pm

found the video on youtube, wow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQDi4Ma6mI
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Wow, you can just briefly see the gate man getting yanked along. I'll bet he needed an underwear change and a chiropractor after that. Glad no one was hurt... or at least not seriously. I'll bet there were a few bumps and bruises all around.