Grosco

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

madelyn

Grosco

Postby madelyn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:01 am

Back in December I got a call from an exercise rider, Jorge, in Florida. I had known Jorge for about 3 years... he had ridden for me in pinches and always was a good hand. He left High Pointe to make his own way in Florida and found the economics to be just killing. He wanted to come back so I quickly got 2 stalls for his horses and a dorm apartment lined up. One of the horses he brought back was Grosco. Just turning 6 yrs old with 38 starts at the time, a classy Mexican allowance horse who stands nearly 18 hands tall, Grosco was on the pivot of either coming back or going to a new career. Grosco has size and heart; he also has osselets and was pinfired from the top of his knees to the bottom of his fetlocks in front. So I set out with Jorge to try to improve Grosco back to something closer to his old form. Grosco had never hit the board in 9 starts after leaving Mexico. His first time back with us he led to the half and faded back so we shortened him up. He then got a 5th after getting out of the gate slow. The rider said he fidgeted in the gate and missed the start. He was, though, only beat by 5-1/4 lengths and in this race improved his highest speed rating from the prior year by a couple of points. I thought maybe this horse was not really done yet. We tweaked and tuned a bit more and last Thursday night he roared up the lane to get 2nd and this time improved his old highest speed rating by 13 points. He paid 14.20 to place and 8.00 to show. Can't wait to see what this campaigner does next.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Re: Grosco

Postby Toccet02 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:01 am

Awesome!
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Mon May 07, 2018 4:33 pm

I missed your post. Congrats on the nice 2nd!

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Aargh that 2nd was taken away the exercise rider is a Mexican as we know they know EVERYTHING and are much more clever than us dumb American LICENSED trainers. An old vet who needs to go to a less stringent place than the racetrack handed him a bottle of Robaxin and told him 72 hrs withdrawal. Of course he did not feel the need to share that with me I'm just the da**ed trainer. So I got a bad test $500 fine and the purse was rescinded....

We went on with Grosco and ended up injecting hocks etc and now he has two more 2nds and a WIN. That horse still has more to do.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....