Bad Penny

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

roxie901
Weanling

Bad Penny

Postby roxie901 » Fri May 06, 2005 12:34 pm

An update on my horse Bad Penny who was the afore mentioned horse in the infamous "CT- another look?" thread several months ago.
He passed his vet check at CT after waiting for the weather to clear to be sure there were no problems with the workout. He was in great condition and we entered him last night to try his luck at a 10K claim level- after again waiting on the list to be entered.
There was lots of commotion at the start of the race- as evidenced by the winner being disqualified- which ended up with my boy suffering a laceration to his stifle while coming out of the gates.
So his future racing career is in limbo right now-
My question- the type of injury he sustained was equivalent to a knife cut- very clean but deep. How common is this type of injury and what kind of recovery can be expected?

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun May 08, 2005 11:01 am

Roxie901: :cry: Sorry about Bad Penny. I saw the results of the race. I know you have had some bad luck within the past months. I've had one experience with a major laceration 9 months ago and as long as nothing vital was interfered with and it is a clean cut you can have confident expectations. My experience was at the joint of the forearm and chest. The cut was clear to the bone at the joint. We didn't even suture though at its widest point the opening was separated by 2 inches. The mare was allowed to move around a small paddock 100 X 100 area with no restrictions and we used topical anti-biotics (furacin). In foal at the time, she never did she show any lameness or problems at the time of injury or during recovery. The mare had a perfect recovery lasting a little over a month with total healing and complete closure of the scar at 2 months. Full range of motion was maintained. She's about to foal anyday now. She has galloped through the pasture throughout the Winter and Spring with the other mares without problem. What does your Vet say? Best wishes - Shammy :D