Last known owner on an '85 KY mare

Ask members to help you find horse pictures, past performances, past owners/trainers, or tracks where a horse won it's last race.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy, Diane

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Last known owner on an '85 KY mare

Postby helen in FL » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:20 pm

I am trying to track down the last known owner of my mare Day Before Easter. I know Joe or Glen Lacoco was her breeder, and considering she is nearing 23 years old, her breeder might be no more. But it would really help if there was any hope of finding this person.
Or if you know of a way that I could find it myself, that would be great. I tried JC but they can't give out private information. Which is fair, but just another road block in my case. :lol:

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:51 am

Even if the Jockey Club have info, it is probably way out of date/wrong. According to the APR, mare has not been bred for a Thoroughbred, which is really the only way the Jockey Club would have been informed if she changed hands. Her name has also been released and is available.

The last owner should be listed on the back of her papers.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:19 pm

I don't have her papers, you see my problem?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:31 pm

There's the rub. But I CAN tell you she has never had a Thoroughbred foal so you are very unlikely to ever be able to trace her to an owner.

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:21 pm

Well I just found someone who will help me track them down, but the information you provided was helpful, thank you.

JimbleBrimble
Starters Handicap

Postby JimbleBrimble » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:29 am

Confirming that the breeder was Joseph N. Lacoco

The last trainer had been James D. Cozine

and the earlier trainer had been James R. Girdley

but these are from the summer of 1988 so they're way outdated as far as being very useful now.

Last start for the horse was August 28, 1988 at River Downs, OH in the first race.

Anybody at/near that track with a program from that far back could give you the name of the owner at that time.

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:19 pm

Thank you!

Hey I was wondering about something I heard. When you breed for a JC foal all you need to report to the JC is the reg# of the sire and dam right? They very rarely check up on it?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:53 am

Actually you don't need the registration number. All you need is the name.

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:13 am

Well now that's interesting!

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:25 am

To expound on that, though, they WILL check the DNA of the foal, and from that will verify the parentage, which is a much more accurate method than submitting papers or names or registration numbers. AND, this is done for every single JC registered foal, so yes, they DO check up on that... didn't want you to think they really didn't have any idea who was who when it came to the foals. :wink:

For some statebred programs, though, you do have to submit a copy of the JC papers to the state, and those papers have the registration number on them... so you may still need the papers or at least a copy of them to get that accomplished, depending on where you're breeding and if you're registering in a state program as well as with the JC.
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:36 pm

Okay but the horse in question would be this mare. She would need to be DNA typed since she was only blood typed before. That would cause problems with no papers yes? Guess I am going to have to order duplicates after all.