La Carmargo

Ask members to help you find horse pictures, past performances, past owners/trainers, or tracks where a horse won it's last race.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy, Diane

BeckyT
Newborn

La Carmargo

Postby BeckyT » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:33 pm

Hello Everyone, nice to be here on your very interesting forum

Firstly I'm no expert on Horse breeding, so please excuse me but I am very interested in the following horse as my GG grandfather trained/owned the horse.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... LA+CAMARGO

This is her with him in 1913 :)

Does anyone have any more information on either the horse or my gg grandfather and in particular who might have painted the picture as the signature is difficult to read.

Also I know my family had various connections with the horse racing families of France/England in particular Alfred Lavis's daughter Emily Lavis was married to Joseph Childs George V's jockey who rode Gainsborough to win the triple. I can find nothing much on the Child's family and other members of my family were also married to Childs.

Hope you find the photo interesting and any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Becky

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:20 pm

What a lovely heirloom. :)

The painter here is Emil Adams (1843-1924), but I'm afraid I know very little about him, except that he painted horses. :wink: However, I am fairly certain that he was English.

Google didn't turn up any original paintings, but some prints of his work are going for $300-500. An original would likely be quite valuable - not that you'd want to sell it, but you may want to consider insurance.

As for the mare, La Camargo won some Classic-level races in France in 1901 & 1902. She was also the second dam of major French sire Massine.

In looking her up I found no mention of her owner/trainer. What was your great-grandather's name? Perhaps searching for him separately would help.

BeckyT
Newborn

Postby BeckyT » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:48 am

Thank you so much for that information regarding the painting Lucy, unfortunately our branch of the family does not own the original just a print! Despite me being descended from the eldest son, it went to the family that kept up the interest in horse racing.

The trainer is Alfred James Lavis my GG grandfather, daughters Emily Lavis married to the Kings Jockey George V as mentioned above Joe Childs and his other daughter Mary Lavis married to Ted Watkins their daughter Maie was married to Mathurin Floch, the Maison-Laffite trainer.

I do have this article about him Alfred Lavis if it is of any interest it will probably print off better than you can read here on the forum but it gives some very interesting information on various horses despite it's age I date the article about 1929 as he is aged 78 in it, and he was born in 1851 at Haddy's Stables in Bath, England died 1935 Folkstone, Kent England.

If it doesn't come out and anyone is interested in getting a better copy please pm me and I will be happy to email. Although on preview it seems quite readable :D

Look forward to hearing all your comments on it :)

BeckyT
Newborn

Postby BeckyT » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:24 am

btw I don't think Emil Adam was English he was German :)

http://www.bsat.co.uk/picture.php?pid=7