Pomeroy-Searching High (Miswaki), filly NEW PICS

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Pomeroy-Searching High (Miswaki), filly NEW PICS

Postby AscotStud » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:07 pm

Searching High foaled a, you guessed it filly, at around 9:30 tonight, Chris got to do the honors. I was playing hockey at the time and scored a goal shortly after, so I think this will be the one who ends up being the star of the crop.

7 for 7 fillies, it has to be some kind of record.
Last edited by AscotStud on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:45 am

Congratulations on the new filly!

The farm where our mares live is currently 6 for 6 this year, all fillies.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:47 am

Congratulations on the new filly!

Look on the bright side guys! If you can't have a colt a filly is better than the alternative :cry:
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:03 pm

clh wrote:Congratulations on the new filly!

Look on the bright side guys! If you can't have a colt a filly is better than the alternative :cry:

I totally agree. Sad to say, clh, we lost our first this year too--and it was a colt. :(

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:14 pm

Aw c'mon. What's wrong with a filly?? Alive, standing, breathing and not running up vet bills?? Congrats.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Trust me I wasn't complaining, just starting to wonder what the odds are that another filly pops out. By the looks of it we will probably be finding out tonight or tomorrow night.

sorry about your loss LB & clh

www.ascotstudfarm.com

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks Ascot losing a foal is never easy but we were lucky in that the mare was okay. And...... just ask LB - she's had a real run of fillies the last couple of years ;)

Having had both and having had the fun experience of keeping both fillies and colts as yearlings I'll let you know which I prefer come summer time. The last few years with the Tapit filly and the Toccet filly I would swear that a colt had to be better than those witches, however, the colts have now decided they are "studs" and are becoming quite the handful. Am not sure which will come out the winner as far as raising them goes. Doesn't really seem to matter much as far as sales go on my end :shock:

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:39 am

clh,

I agree the ups and downs are massive in this industry of love. We lost probably our best mare in late Dec (to natural causes, she was to be pensioned after this foal).

I know behind every easy foaling there is another one that can be a nightmare, that's why we enjoy every safe one so much.

As for the fillies Chris is loving it since so far his turn out schedule looks pretty easy a year from now. But fillies and I always have had a love hate relationship, human and equine. I must admit though IMO it is much easier to get female black type than male, so at least we are getting a good handle on the Canadian market.

BTW, I see you are from Ohio, did you happen to be at the Jimmy Buffett show in Cincinnati in 2000 at River Bend. It was my first and only time I've seen him and I had a blast, aside from the massive thunderstorm that rolled through during the encore.

www.ascotstudfarm.com

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:20 am

This filly has filled out nicely, since she was a scrawny baby, my mom finding her way into the shot too...somehow not behind the mare. Her pay will be cut no doubt.

www.ascotstudfarm.com

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:15 am

AscotStud wrote:This filly has filled out nicely, since she was a scrawny baby, my mom finding her way into the shot too...somehow not behind the mare. Her pay will be cut no doubt.

LOL, don't you just hate it when the "help" doesn't do their job right? :wink:

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 am

This filly has filled out nicely, since she was a scrawny baby

That's an understatement. She really looks solid in the above pic. Good luck with her..

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:43 pm

The filly broke through in her 4th start today and won the 6th at Gulfstream today with Edgar Prado up

www.ascotstudfarm.com

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Fantastic...
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Congratulations! Well done. :)

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Congratulations!

And reading up on this thread I don't know how I missed your Buffett comment. My son was probably there in 2000. I quit going when it got so difficult to get real seats - this mama doesn't do lawn seating anymore :). AND in re-reading this I just want to state - with a grand total of only 4 fillies on our farm and the rest colts I can tell you that the colts as yearlings and long yearlings really were the worst. The fillies were brats from day one so you always knew what you had. The colts usually started out very sweet but turned into hellions. I'm sticking with that!