manners! got to get sum

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Fri May 01, 2009 4:36 am

Oh no ... little blighter ... :(

Well - I guess you always need to be ready to fight back with a kick or a swat to advise that this is not acceptable behaviour. Since the little monster is so apt to use his front end, I'd always carry a dressage whip when leading him - shorter and more accurate than a lunge whip - and it STINGS when they get lashed with it and you can nail them from a few feet away as well

When he goes up, he gets a sting with the whip and a loud "NO!!!" and pretty soon in his evil little mind he should associate "playing with the humans" with getting stung and he might be a little more inclined to leave his front feet on the ground at all times around you guys

Its been a quiet morning so far. Any chance of seeing the matching black eyes for you and hubby? :wink:

I am so sorry (all kidding aside) that the little terror is using you both as punching bags. Good luck with getting his manners back in line once again
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Fri May 01, 2009 5:08 am

I agree with True Colors. In my experience, it is the well broke, respectful horses who make it on the track. For example, one year I worked at a farm with 40 babies. The million dollar pedigrees tended to be cut some slack, given leeway, while the less fancy bred were treated more like horses (as opposed to royalty ;) ), and I followed them for years. The best two of the crop, were from the ones who were less spoiled. How many times do you see an unruly horse (usually a colt) leave his race in the paddock, be a pig in the gate, give up in the stretch run? I am in no way blaming breeder's for this, but as one who breeds to race, I do believe it is the kind, respectful horse who gives his all on the track. The spoiled one who is not made to control himself, acts like a brat when he doesn't get his own way. The sooner he realizes that when you are doing something with him, he has to behave and pay attention, the easier and safer his life will be.

Good luck, stay safe, and don't worry about breaking his spirit. I am sure he has lots of it. :)

tammysinnett
Starters Handicap

thankyou

Postby tammysinnett » Sun May 03, 2009 4:01 am

Yes we are finally on the mend....thanks to aunt Classy.....the old broad mare that we decided would be a great Pasture Pal for mom and boy. It was a trying first half hour didnt know if we had done the right thing for neither mare wanted to be the boss...they were scarred of each other ...long story short who did Cassius run to for safety when the big horse in the pasture moved towards him....you got it right to me...I stroked him..talking calmly to both him and his mother ...we did this for awhile....he learned allot about listening today to mom and me...before it was over he was sprawled out sleeping in the sun Aunt Classy looking over him why mamma took a break and traveled to water a whole 50 feet away....first time she has ever left her baby....think she and I finally realized it was time for this lil boy to behave and learn to mind. We will continue to read your post on perfect manners and suggestions I will work hard to help him learn. Now that I know I wont break his spirit...we will work very hard to and from the pasture. and hopefully ole Aunt Classy can work hard on the horse manners in the field.Thankyou everyone.