Twin Foals!!

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Tap The Mint
Yearling

Twin Foals!!

Postby Tap The Mint » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:54 pm

We just had a set of twin foals born 3 days ago here at the farm. They had a difficult time in delivery but so far both colts and the dam are doing alright. One is extremely small and frail but is hanging in there and we have hopes that he will make it. The mare was ultra sounded early to detcect pregnancy but apparently the smaller one is about six days behind and didn't show up on the ultra sound so it was a complete surprise. They are sired by Warmblood stallion, Rodioso out of a Thoroughbred daughter of Seine Minstrel my late stallion. I have pictures posted on my website at http://www.oakwoodfarmtb.com

Lisann
Allowance Winner

Postby Lisann » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:20 am

Hope they stay healthy!

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:56 am

They are adorable! Please keep us updated on how they do.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:07 am

Oh wow what an album! Rory is adorable. Hang in there little guy! The mare seems to be caring for both, correct?
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:24 am

So far so good! Good thoughts coming your way!
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:41 am

Best of luck with them! The look on the mare's face in some of the early pictures is just priceless. :D

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:14 pm

I hope they all make it through in good shape, best of luck to them.
Nu

Tap The Mint
Yearling

Twin Foals!

Postby Tap The Mint » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:25 am

Hi, The twins are still hanging in there and Rory is now nursing on his own today, day 5. It is the first day that he refused the bottle. Yesterday blood work showed that he was slightly dehydrated and had low sodium so we gave him I.V. fluids last night, this morning, and this afternoon. He is much better now and has even kicked up his heels a few times at his big brother. We are still watching them closely for any signs of setbacks but so far so good. The mare is awesome. It's her first foaling and she's taking care of them like a veteran. She is wonderful about letting us work with them too and is very careful of them.
I added more pictures to the album of Rory getting his I.V. fluids today. You can see them on the link at my website www.oakwoodfarmtb.com

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:32 am

:D :D :D
Wonderful.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.

----Arrested Development

tammysinnett
Starters Handicap

Your twins

Postby tammysinnett » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:07 am

The diary you are keeping is so interesting. I am so amazed and check in daily to see if they are doing well. You should have them on a web cam...it would get allot of fans. thankyou so much for sharing.

Tap The Mint
Yearling

Twin Foals!

Postby Tap The Mint » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:08 pm

The Twins have reached a milestone today being One Week old! Rory, the littlest one is still tiny but nursing on his own now and kicking and playing in the stall. We hope to get them out for some sunshine and exercise tomorrow and will take pictures then. Reggie, the bigger one is growing by leaps and bounds and running laps around his dam. We are still watching them very closely for any setbacks but so far they are doing well. Thanks so much for the prayers and good wishes.

HeadlessHorseman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby HeadlessHorseman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:01 am

MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED for you WEE ONES!!!

I love the pictures of them...and TEARED up when I saw Rory...he's SO LITTLE...BLESS HIS HEART!!!

I can't wait to see more pics...

HH :)

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:23 pm

They both look happy and healthy! Best of luck with them. Keep us updated please!

Tap The Mint
Yearling

Twin Foals!

Postby Tap The Mint » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:09 pm

Today the twins are NINE long days old! Little Rory is still hanging in there but having trouble keeping up with big brother Reggie on nutrition. We have had to give him I.V. fluids to keep his strength up in hopes that he can nurse enough on his own to build himself up. He is still very tiny and fragile but seems to be doing pretty well. It's hard to keep an I.V. catheter in the vein with a brother and a mom helping to take it out. Had to have the vet come twice today to replace it.
Thanks for the good thoughts.

nferro9925
Grade III Winner

Postby nferro9925 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Hang in there Rory!!! We are pulling for you little feller... :D