My first foal watch

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Ah, crud. Sometimes things just suck. I am so sorry this happened. Please accept my condolences.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:48 pm

This sucks when it happens any time but it extra sucks your first time. I am so incredibly sorry. I too lost my first ever foal but it was not quite as dramatic as it was 7 months along. If its any consolation her second attempt was my best earner as well as being the love of my life and mother of three foals so far. Hugs to you both.

ArchDandy
Allowance Winner

Postby ArchDandy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Ok, I'm trying to be realistic here. I've read that dystocia caused by malposition of the foal does NOT mean that a c-section would be required for future foalings. However I have some issues with the specific situation I was in. Once this foal was out of the mare, the hind legs were somewhat flexible- I didn't try too hard but I could move them to see the gender. However, as the vet also noted. The front legs were inflexible and bent into a ) shape. Is this severe contraction of the tendons? From what I've read, after c-sections mares often have difficulty passing the placenta- this really worried me and made me believe that she was perhaps not fit to foal.

I will ask my vet these questions, but if anyone has any experience with situations like these can you lend your opinions? As a first timer this was truly traumatizing. I'll never forget what my mare looks like covered in blood and straining herself to near death, but my goals of racing are still the same- although severely set back. Would a situation like this cause you not to breed a mare again years in the future? I understand my own feelings to not breed again, but at the same time- I'm going to have this mare for the rest of her life- and I'm able to give her all the time she needs.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:56 pm

I think that is a tough question.... everyone has their own comfort level. I think I'd probably end up retiring the mare only because I would likely worry myself sick as her due date approached. But I am a worrywort. My friend had talked to many different vets before breeding her mare back after her c-section. She felt confident that her mare would be fine and as it turns out she was right :) Her mare has had two healthy foals from two breedings post c-section. I know someone else whose mare had an emergency c-section and has been rebred several times. She however has not been able to carry full term despite everyones best efforts. She is still bred every year (she's quite valuable) in the hopes that she will produce a live full term foal. I think the best thing to do is see how she looks next year. If an ultrasound shows a lot of scar tissue then maybe you will have an answer, however if her uterus looks good ....

Best of luck to you in your decision. Your mare is lucky to have you as an owner and once again my sincerest condolences for your loss.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Sunday Rider
Allowance Winner

Postby Sunday Rider » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:21 pm

So Sorry for your loss :cry: Hope your mare recovers fast

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Dystocia from a contracture and dystocia from malposition are not the same thing. I don't think it is likely to happen to you again if you foal out a hundred mares, let alone if you foal out this mare again.

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:57 pm

I'm so sorry to hear of the terrible time you and your mare had. My prayers will be with you, and I hope things work out for you in the future.
Nu

ArchDandy
Allowance Winner

Postby ArchDandy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:48 pm

Spoke with the vet today while visiting with my mare. Very happy to see that she was outside in a large paddock next to a field of horses to watch. She was eating and passing manure just short of what is typical of her- so we are supremely optimistic. Vet says shes doing REALLY WELL, and should go home and be fine by wednesday. He says she is right up there with the soonest he has ever sent a horse home after opening them up. They are weaning her off the I.V. and pain medication. I asked him about her future as a broodmare since he was the one who performed the c-section. He said he doubted that this would happen again, and that he thought she would carry another foal just fine.

I asked for his opinion on what happened with my mare, and the condition/position of the colt. He told me that he has seen a higher occurence of contracted tendons in mares who are fed straight alfalfa, as our mare was. I seem to have drawn the conclusion that a LARGE foal with contracted tendons spelled the recipe for disaster. This might have been one hard way to learn to buy a ration ballancer or to just feed grass hay!