Mare due May 12th!

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

kybred
Weanling

Mare due May 12th!

Postby kybred » Thu May 27, 2010 3:39 am

My second mare to foal has a due date of May 12th. She is now 356 days in foal. She has bagged up and the muscles adjacent to her tail have relaxed, but there are no other signs of impending labor. My vet palpated her a week ago and said he felt movement. He tells me it is "not uncommon" for mares to foal after a year.
This is my first year with foaling and, due to worry, I am certain it has taken 10 years off my lifespan. Has anyone had a similar experience? What are some of the complications that may arise?

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu May 27, 2010 6:39 am

The frustrating truth is that mares foal when they're good and ready and human impatience does nothing to hurry them along. Believe me, I've been there! :lol:

One of our mares went two weeks late this year--longest ever for us--and had an uneventful delivery of a nice big colt. Though your mare's current gestation seems long to you it falls well within the "normal" range.

As long as your vet is on top of things and not worried, there's little you can do but wait. Chances are, everything will go just fine.

Good luck and keep us posted!

kybred
Weanling

Postby kybred » Thu May 27, 2010 7:49 am

That's comforting to hear. Thank you LB. I'll keep you posted.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu May 27, 2010 8:03 am

By the way, I forgot to mention that for some reason many mares are foaling late this year. All of ours went late, to varying degrees, and I've heard the same thing from other breeders. Perhaps it's the cool-ish spring we've had but something is making the mares want to hang on a little longer than usual.

kybred
Weanling

Postby kybred » Thu May 27, 2010 6:38 pm

I became anxious when my very first mare to foal, was overdue in April. I expressed my concerns here on this forum, and received very comforting support. Of course she foaled the following morning. Everything went textbook with her delivery. I want a healthy momma and baby with this one as well.
I will keep you posted!

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Fri May 28, 2010 2:45 pm

My 400 day foal will technically be 1 on June 14th.....patience! I feel your pain LOL!

kybred
Weanling

Postby kybred » Sat May 29, 2010 11:12 am

Four Hundred (400) days? Were you present when she foaled? I don't have a camera setup so I am walking out to the barn every one or two hours. I don't want her to be alone, but....
Perhaps I should rent the camera. I'm sure I would sleep better - and so will my mares - I won't be walking in and turning the lights on five times a night :shock:
Thank you for sharing. I will keep you posted.

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Sat May 29, 2010 6:21 pm

Yes I was watching my foal cam which are GREAT! My vet even came as he had never had a mare that went that long and he wanted to find out what was in there LOL! Let us know how it goes....and no I wouldnt wish it on anyone!

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Sun May 30, 2010 1:15 pm

My mare went a full 365 days. She was huge, and the foal was huge and still is huge. No complications at all, but I was starting to think the mare was playing a prank on me and not really pregnant lol.

kybred
Weanling

Postby kybred » Mon May 31, 2010 8:45 am

My mare foaled at 2:30 this morning. Unfortunately, there were complications, resulting in an ischemic event. She is unable to stand and nurse. Her tongue was fixed and protruding. She has now gained some suckling action; she has full motor and sensory sensation of her legs and good sphincter tone. We are giving her colustrum through an NG tube. The next 8 or so hours will be telling. All appears to be within normal range now. She feels her rear legs and uses them, but tries to stand while they are in mild flexion, which is futile.
I will update as she progresses - or does not.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon May 31, 2010 10:34 am

I'm sorry to hear things didn't go well. Good luck with your filly, I hope she continues to make good progress.

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Mon May 31, 2010 4:02 pm

I'll be praying for your poor little babe.
Nu

kybred
Weanling

Postby kybred » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Sadly, the filly passed away this afternoon. I would like to offer my mare as a nurse mare if anyone has the need. Thank you all for your support.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:03 pm

My condolances for your loss. I'm sorry it all went wrong for you and the mare. :(

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:41 pm

Just checking back, and I am so sorry to hear about your filly.