We got a COLT!!

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

We got a COLT!!

Postby madelyn » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:49 am

In a very auspicious start to the day, at 5:45 am our big Boston Harbor mare, Express to Boston, delivered a HUGE bay colt by Cryptoclearance. Both very healthy, and he is just amazing. I will get pictures soon.

Now on to Churchill Downs this afternoon for our first homebred's debut in the fifth race.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

onalimb
Allowance Winner

Postby onalimb » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:28 am

congrats and good luck....
onalimb

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:00 am

Congratulations!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks.. he is a huge colt. As such, he's still pretty awkward getting up, but he's healthy and active. I've given him a barn name, "Cryptonite". He has big knees, legs like trees, and is going to be a very big horse. He is the only foal I've ever had that can wear a large foal halter from day one.

onalimb
Allowance Winner

Postby onalimb » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:30 pm

very nice.... photos please when you get time..
onalimb

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:13 pm

On another subject, how did your filly fared yesterday, Madelyn? My best wishes that things went well, and the filly had a very good expereince.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:56 am

It was all quite an experience for her. First was the tractor trailer ride in the Sallee shuttle from Trackside to Churchill Downs. Then there was the whole "receiving barn" thing; the walk to the paddock, with the tunnel and all the pony horses with their riders standing under the big fan. The paddock itself was exciting. Her ears were pricked hard and she was looking at EVERYTHING, but she was a good girl. She got a little under herself walking in the paddock but was really well mannered.

She got moved to the #2 post position (the #1 scratched) and the horse to the inside didn't break. She got buried on the rail with a tidal wave of 10 coming in. 6 others in the race had 4+ starts and there were several dropping Way Down (MSW, M30, M20 etc) in class. It looked like she really just galloped the whole way, and it wasn't much of a ride. She was 8th of 12. The #7 horse collapsed on the gallop out, from heatstroke. Then my filly got "specialed" and sent to the test barn. Apparently, in this bunch, including six-figure fillies, she performed so much better than expected the stewards wanted her tested. It was a curious experience.

This filly is one of only two foals from her sire, out of a maiden mare by Safe Ground. Not a pedigree to inspire dreams. She's a nice tough little filly with a lot of heart. She came out of the race bouncing off the walls and not blowing hard. If we'd gotten a better rider and maybe a field of true maiden 10's, I think it might have been different.

There is another race on the card on the 4th of July and we might run her back. She had nothing at all taken out of her in the last one.

Thanks for asking.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:38 am

Congrats on the new foal!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:42 am

Thanks, I may finally get some pics of him this week. He is So Tall...