Canadian Kid x Miribilla (by Lord Avie) born 6/7/2010

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Canadian Kid x Miribilla (by Lord Avie) born 6/7/2010

Postby KBEquine » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:41 am

I'm late getting pictures posted - we got a great filly, but lost her dam & raising an orphan definitely takes some extra time!

Anyhow, here she is a 10 days old & also, after rockin' and rollin' in pasture, enjoying a cool drink from her Igloo . . .

(Sorry I don't know how to downsize that Igloo shot.)

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:15 am

She looks terrific. :)

onalimb
Allowance Winner

Postby onalimb » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:45 pm

nice job with her...
onalimb

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:56 pm

What a nice filly! I don't envy you raising an orphan.. I've done it and it is hard. It is important for her to socialize with horses and that's tough to do with a little one.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:34 am

That's great you got her to drink from the igloo! That makes it a bit easier.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks, all.

Madelyn, the scary part was trying to figure out how to 'make her a horse.'

Her stall has a front door (where she can see the 2 y.o. herd) and a back door (where she can get almost nose-to-nose with the broodmares. She is turned out beside a very quiet 4 y.o. filly (just off the track - her last race was late May & she is fascinated by the filly, nickers to her, touches noses.) On the other 3 sides of the little one's turnout are the 2 y.o. colts, the yearling fillies - and the stallion barn, where Dad can keep an eye on her:

Until it is time to be led(?) back to her stall . . . the leading lessons are very enjoyable (for those of us behind the camera):

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:07 am

LOVE that last photo! At least she looks like she's moving forward :lol:

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:12 am

That's really cute! Is she mad because she has to come in or is that normal when leading a young foal?

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:33 pm

We had an orphan last year, a black and white spotted draft filly. My daughters 10 hand pony mare took over raising her and teaching her how to be a horse. She couldnt nurse her but she taught her everything a baby needed to know. Now at one year of age Pixie is nearly 15.2 and Princess is still 10 hands. But she is still the boss as far as Pixie is concerned. I hope you can find a nice older mare or mares to put her with. It will help alot.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Tappiano wrote:That's really cute! Is she mad because she has to come in or is that normal when leading a young foal?

Well, when you're first teaching them, they've no idea what you want & don't think they need to do what you ask, any way. So it is not unusual for them to . . . cavort on the lead.

Then again, take a looks at this picture, which is the filly's older 1/2 sister when she was just a couple days old -- no lead rope to inspire her, but definitely doing 'airs above the ground.' From what I can tell, the only difference between the two is one picture was taken from the rear & one from the side!

We bought yet another 1/2 sister to these two a few years ago. She was 4 & we had her with a trainer at the track. The trainer reported she was 'light in the front end'. I don't have pictures, but I believe it!

So in this filly's case - I think it is just a family tradition.

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:11 pm

I am just in love with your chestnut filly. I am a sucker for the red headed fillies. I had a mini donkey, and now a mini mare that are excellent for keeping weanlings company. Wouldn't sell my mini for the world. She is a life saver.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:32 pm

Aw, thanks. And she's doing great. Maybe when I have energy again, I'll get more pictures. She's moved from her Gatorade Igloo to one the size that you see on the sidelines of a high school football game. We call this one "Big Mama".

I just found poor "Big Mama" lidless & empty, except for some hair . . .

The filly is shedding her foal fur for her 1st real hair coat & has decide Big Mama is a combination milk producer & scratching post. Fortunately, we've got a 2nd "Big Mama" sized Igloo, should the first one not survive all the red-headed filly's lovin'

She's made friends with my daughter's app gelding and a 4 y.o. filly who is letting down from the track. And as between the colt herd and the filly herd, which are on different sides of her paddock . . . she spends much more time talking to the boys. So she's figuring out how to be social, too, and a little flirt.