JUDITH WILD RUSH first foal

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:34 am

We raised an orphan a few years ago. He turned out fine. It was very time consuming and hard work. We never bottle fed him, though. My vet at the time convinced me to teach him to drink milk from a bucket, which he learned in just a few minutes. We used Buckeye Mares Milk Plus and the foal pellets.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:06 am

There are tons of web sites that have information on how to raise the foal to have manners when it's been orphaned since us humans are not likely to kick or bite a misbehaving foal. People have also tried goats in with foals but most of the time the goat will try to eat the supplements or not stand still to let the foal nurse.

Sorry about the loss of the mare. Good luck, I am sure it will turn out great.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:45 am

Lots of prayers and good wishes for you and your foal!! I read about the foal igloo too when I was expecting the worst scenarios for mine. It really made me feel better as it does seem to be a very viable help in these types of situations. I hope all works out for you and that the weather gives you a break too!
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

MINNOW
Allowance Winner

Postby MINNOW » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks every one my spirit has been lifted today just got a second at Woodbine,only missed by half a length.
Keep us in your prayers,
All gave some,
some gave all

MINNOW
Allowance Winner

Postby MINNOW » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:21 am

We are getting the cooler today and my handy son in law will make the nipple fit and also make a bracket for the cooler to attach to.
This little guy was also a premature so we thought the nipple thing would be better for him right now,another question he dose not seem to poo much is this normal?
He is drinking a liter and a half every serving now.Keep your input coming Guys you have no idea how much it encourages me.
All gave some,

some gave all

Calibre Farm
Newborn

Postby Calibre Farm » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:28 pm

Minnow I can vouch for the cooler. Last year we had a mare colic and perforate the bowel 5 days after delivering a colt. We started him right off with a bucket - first was FoalLac but then switched to Grober - much prefer Grober. It was a bit of a pain running to the stall or paddock with small servings every couple hours and keeping his babysitter (older mare) from poking her nose in the bucket! To this day he still likes to suckle the air when he eats his soaked purina juvenile pellets. We must have passed the raising the orphan test because God presented us with another - the mare bled and prolapsed shortly after delivering 9 days ago. My daughter discovered the cooler method and it is a lifesaver. He gets 4 "servings" of 3/3/3/4 litres (the last larger serving takes him from 11pm to 7am) and he is quite content with the arrangement. He only appears to have one (large) bowel movement per day - exercise may help to get things moving. So far he has just been going in the round pen 2-3X per day for 20 minutes or so - just long enough to blow off steam and show off for the 2yo's in the next paddock. When this wet weather improves we will introduce him to the trusty babysitter so he can eat poo and learn his place. Best of luck.

MINNOW
Allowance Winner

Postby MINNOW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:00 am

Thanks Calibre,
My Daughter got the cooler thing set up last night but he won't drink from it,she had to put a new nipple on because the other one we made a bigger hole in it.She says he is stubborn but i don't know if that is the problem.Looks like i will be spending my birthday teaching him how to drink from the new method.He is two weeks old today and the Vet said he can go outside.We will put him in the arena as it is wet where we are with all the rain we have had.He is on the Grober now and was doing well with his bottle up to a liter and half in one sitting,it is just the night time,someone should invent an automatic bottle filler lol.
Sorry to hear about your mares,that is so sad we have never lost a mare before it is very hard isn't it?
All gave some,

some gave all

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Wow I could not imagine being in either of your situations, but looks like everything does and will work out A-OK!!! Best wishes for your continued path to self feeding!! :wink:
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

MINNOW
Allowance Winner

Postby MINNOW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:43 pm

We found him a friend now we have put him in with an old 21 year old Danzig mare,she is kind and is showing him the ropes,We are still feeding him with the bottle and formular.The vet was out today and said he looked good,so i guess that we have to be a bit more patient with him,it will take a little longer.Just hope he turns out like his Dad. :) :) :)
All gave some,

some gave all