HEEEEEEEE'S HERE!!!!

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Tue May 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Oh, there is NO such things as overboard when it comes to foal pictures :)
He's growing into quite a handsome boy! Are you having as much fun with him as you envisioned that you would have?
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Tue May 03, 2011 6:43 pm

I am so in love with this little sucker. My friends are amazed how much of a pocket pal he is. Of course he tries to nibble, nip, and run so we are working on ....ahem...manners lol. Biddy,his dam, let's him get away with some crazy stuff like jumping on her head and trying to kick her when she doesn't stand still for him to eat. I'd think I'd be giving him the horse equivalent of a handy spanking for that lol!! But he's so smart. The fly spray bottle, bathing, and even walking across a tarp were like nothing for him..... I still chase half the others, who are way old enough to know better, in circles to put fly spray on them. :twisted:
But honestly I did not think it was going to be this much pure enjoyment. For god's sake my husband already has a blackmail picture of Envy stretched out napping in the sun and this weird stalker like woman right next to him. He says it's me but I say the sun must have been in his eyes lol!!
Actually as long as I have this guy to come home to the others could run last all day long and I would be oddly content. I am glad he isn't one of the aloof type of horses because the amount of zen like harmony this one little colt brings me is amazing. I definitely have a better understanding of the fondness you all have expressed before for your own foals. There really is nothing like it in the world. :D
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Wed May 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Spex - I'm afraid you are going to have to change your signature, because what you just wrote ....... well enough said!

Don't worry about Biddie - she'll take his crap for a while, then when he gets a bit bigger she'll give him what for! Although some of my guys were climbing all over their moms and the other mares when they were at weaning age and the moms just pinned their ears so who knows?

I'm so glad it is everything you wanted it to be. There really is nothing quite like it is there? I'm really having withdrawals :( I used to sit in Allou's stall when Vader was a newborn and really up until he was about 2 months old or a bit older and he would lay his head on my lap and sleep. It was great. I'd stay that way forever hating to wake the little brat up ;) Enjoy it while you can, when they get to a long yearling stage you'll be saying that "boy of summer" is one big pain in the a$$!

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Mon May 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Well I am behind as usual. Between getting my one to attempt to not make me a fool at the races and this rambunctious yet oh so lovable boy time flies.
Here are some current pics. As of yesterday at 5 weeks he is 49 inches at the wither and 99.9% spoiled brat. He is averaging 1.2 inches a week I guess. He beats the heck out of his mom, who is still far too lenient in allowing him to kick bite and jump on her head all the time, though I am starting to notice the expression of ire popping out on her face. So here is Envy, guess I was really testing my rapture admittance by naming him one of the 7 sins lol!!
Today chilling with mom after a bath.

Here even as young as he is, is recognizing my friends bad fashion choices. ROFL!

His attempt at portraying he is just a misunderstood love bug.(click-able video link)

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Mon May 23, 2011 3:59 pm

He is beautiful and is growing rapidly. Am so glad you are enjoying him. Don't worry, mom will start scolding him soon enough ;)

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon May 23, 2011 5:18 pm

He's really nice! Isn't it amazing how fast they have those flying lead changes down!

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:46 am

Well here's a quick update ..... HE'S AWESOME. This colt is , I just don't know, I suppose everyone feels this way but it's all new to me. All I know is this little guy (well not so little lol) makes me forget anything unpleasant in an instant.

June 28th and molting baby fur:

July 24 still molting....

And today Mr.Big just shy of his big 4 month birthday:

boatloads more in photobucket. I only wish I had the photographic genius some of you have!!
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/d ... 20Uploads/

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:41 am

What a nice big colt!

And he certainly has his dam's head and expression. They look adorable together in the last picture. :)

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Beautiful baby, well done.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:14 pm

WOW Spex - what a great looking fella you got there! So glad it is still all you've dreamed about. Yep - nothing like going to the field and seeing a baby running around aggravating mom to bring a smile to your face is there? Or standing at the fence and have said baby come up to you for some loving..... you can tell I'm still having withdrawals here ;). He really is a nice colt and looks like he's going to be a big boy!

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:36 am

Thank you very much. He is more than I dreamed even if he doesn't run a lick, which very well could be with my luck lmao!! Everyone is asking what I am giving him because he's sprouting like a weed and ashamedly :oops: he just nurses like mad and he and his mom split 9 quarts of Southern States 10/10/10 and 3 quarts of Reliance 10 daily with one dose of the multivitamin Grow Colt in the morning on top. Mind you he probably gets less than 3 quarts by the time his mother sticks her tongue into his feeder and slurps up grain that way :roll: . He is finding that as he gets bigger he's able to push her back out of the way but I figure she earns it since he is still Dennis the Menace to her and his older pasture pals. He gives her a bloody nose weekly as well as wonderful bite marks on her face as that is his favorite way to play with whom ever. One day his butt whooping is coming but for now no one seems to want to do it to him except me. I am the only thing he doesn't try to nip anymore but that was accomplished with tough love lol!
I have withdrawals if I am gone for a few hours so I don't know how you handle more than that lol!!!!!! He does make me very excited for the future especially if many of the proposals take place. I may regret how I feel about all that later but I guess time will tell !! God knows I manage to get bit in the rear thinking I am doing the right thing on more than one occasion anyway :lol:

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Nice colt! Did you breed her back? It's funny that when they are not back in foal the colts do try to mount their mom's. My mare tolerates everything Baby Duke does.... he will be weaned the end of this month and then he will have his girlfriend to hang around with for a bit.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Well another monthly update, but this time done the easy way via video lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPZ486mVpTE

I did not breed his mom back. I want to see what kind of talent he possesses first. I was going to donate her to a university but I don't want him weaned from her until she says it's time and right now she's still the best mom in the universe. :D
He hasn't tried mounting her per say he does like to try and poke her in the head with his hooves but no sign of anything more than being a pest, though he is definitely a colt with his two little walnuts hanging lol!!

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:45 am

Spex - he continues to grow :) And I must say he continues to look quite pleased with himself ;). Very nice boy and I am glad you are still enjoying him. Sometimes around this time the boys of fall start becoming a pain in the rear and not so cute.....

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Great video! Mine likes to let it all hang out..... particularly when you put a lead on him to bring him outside for pictures. He is really sweet though and quite persistent because after he tried to nibble my right palm he knew I had another hand and went to try that one.