Only one foal coming this year...:-(

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Only one foal coming this year...:-(

Postby oleos93 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Have 36 days to go on my one and only baby this year. Very interesting turn of events. The mare that is going to foal is Hurry Home Helen, great producing mare, BUT for the last 2-3 years she has not been able to get in foal or hold a foal. I got this mare last yr from my good friend and bred her. Was told bred her everyday through out her whole heat, so we did. Sometimes twice a day. Then we stitched her up as she has a tilted uterus.

The odd side is, we bred 4 other mares as well at the same time, NON took but her. The one that was impossible to get in foal. So maybe a little divine intervention is at play and I am to focus on this one baby.

Question....this mare is Breeders Cup Nominated. Is it only foals out of Nominated studs that can be nominated?

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 am

Lol.... I just went a couple of rounds on this bc I think the potential any foal possesses is worth a couple of hundred bucks investment in the BC. So that being said....

The stallion has to be nominated, which is an amount equal to the stud fee or a minimum of $1000. Check out the BC website, right now they have an open enrollment of sorts going on. I.e. any stallion nominated in 2011 can have ANY of his progeny nominated from any birth year for a prorated fee.....and it's much better than the $200,000 they were wanting for racing age horses with non nominated sires.
http://members.breederscup.com/nominations/open/openinformation.aspx
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:59 pm

My stud is not nomintaed so I guess I am out. Just the mare is.