Ten Broeck

News about mares getting ready to foal, new foals, foal naming, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

jagger
Grade III Winner

Ten Broeck

Postby jagger » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:06 am

We have a foal due this Friday or so. Our mare, Rage for Fame, is bred to Indygo Shiner and is in the excellent care of Marc and Quentin Wharton at Overbrook Farm where her grandfather, Storm Cat, is retired. We don't know if we have a filly or a colt yet. Think about names. I wouldn't mind using an old name...a name that has not been used a lot though....and not recently. I am a pretty big bluegrass fan, as in bluegrass music, and a huge fan of Bill Monroe. One of his songs commemorates the famous match race between Mollie McCarty and Ten Broeck....although it is not spelled accurately as in "Molly and Tenbrook(s). It was perhaps one of the first east coast vs west coast match race as Mollie, who had beaten everything in California, came to race Ten Broeck who had established himself as a very good long distance runner. Molly led early in the race but was eventually overtaken by Ten Broeck who cantered in with a then record time for 4 miles at 7:16 or thereabouts. I would dearly love to see more races of that length again. Imagine the excitement and lead changes over that length! What has happened :( over the years? I like the words in the Bill Monroe song..."he (referring to Ten Broeck) beat the Memphis train". That image...a horse racing a train conjures up tremendous excitement in my mind.

Initially, I was interested in naming a colt after a famous battle...as in Dunkirk. A battle where the Marines played a significant role, as I am a former Marine. Belleau Wood was a favorite for a while. Still like it. But, Ten Broeck brings together my interest in bluegrass music, pays tribute to a great horse who favored distance over speed as I do. Now, just have to hope for a colt and convince the wife.

Anyone know the record for 4 miles by a thoroughbred? Think any of today's TB's could do 4 miles in 7:16?

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Good luck with your foal jagger! Naming them can be the hardest thing however. I have trouble coming up with adequate barn names (I try and pick one that honors the sire but also shows the foal's personality if I can). However, coming up with a registered name is always hard because you know that is the name that goes on the papers and one that will be called if they ever race (which you hope they do of course). We called one of our foals "Damien" because he was by Tueflesburg and according to Hurrican Hall that meant Devil's Mountain. Damien of course was the devil (and this colt is/was). His registered name ended up being Not An Altar Boy - letting everyone know that he wasn't an angel :wink:

Good luck!!! Let us know when you have "touchdown".
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

madelyn

Re: Ten Broeck

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:02 am

jagger wrote:...... I was interested in naming a colt after a famous battle...as in Dunkirk. A battle where the Marines played a significant role, as I am a former Marine. Belleau Wood was a favorite for a while....

What great possibilities here.. Iwo Jima.. Tripoli .. Bull Run.. Guadalcanal ..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

jagger
Grade III Winner

Ten Broeck

Postby jagger » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks, madelyn. I've kinda gotten off the battle theme since I found Ten Broeck. Ten Broeck really appeals on many levels. Ten Broeck has not been overly used, just one other time I think..not for sure though. He was a very famous horse in his day and was admitted into the Thoroughbred Hall of Fame in 1982. His race with Mollie McCarty has been commemorated in a Bluegrass song by one of my favorite artists, Bill Monroe. As well, Ten Broeck really was a horse mean for distance which was what I was hoping for when I bought our mare and chose the stallion for her. I know this foal will never run 4 miles as the original Ten Broeck did but hopefully, he will at least like 10f. Actually, we don't even know if it is a colt or not.

I was hoping one of the historians on the forum would be able to answer my question in my original post.....what is the record for 4 miles for a Thoroughbred? Perhaps, Ten Broeck still holds it at 7:16.

Would still love to see a 4 mile race with lots of lead changes. They don't make 'em like Ten Broeck anymore.

jagger
Grade III Winner

Ten Broeck

Postby jagger » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Should also add that my wife did not immediately discard the possibility of Ten Broeck, especially when told of all the pertinence of his name.

Still don't know about a barn name though. Might leave that up to Mark and Quentin.

jagger
Grade III Winner

Ten Broeck

Postby jagger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Still no foal :( My wife went down Wednesday, hoping to be there for the foaling but the mare didn't cooperate...maybe the bad weather.

All but settled on the name, Ten Broeck, for a colt though. Probably be a filly...... .

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:16 am

Hate to ask a stupid question, but are you planning on registering the foal with the Jockey Club? I figured not when you said you wanted to use Ten Broeck for a colt as it's a permanent name in their registry. Great name for a horse though, I agree.

I love name games. I'll try to get you filly suggestions. If they don't need to pass registry muster, it'll definitely free me up to just go nuts with possibilities (although I say we declare a moratorium on using Willa On the Move for the umpteenth/3rd time).

PS. Just saw this was from a few days ago. Mare might've foaled by now. Hope it goes/went well. If you still need name suggestions, just holler.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

jagger
Grade III Winner

Rage for Fame

Postby jagger » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Still has not foaled :? She'll be a week overdue tomorrow.

Was not aware that some names have been retired. Does being named to the Thoroughbred Hall of Fame automatically get your name "retired"? I suppose I could change the spelling just a little. Ten Broeck is afterall, spelled "Tenbrooks" in the Bill Monroe song, Molly and Tenbrooks. Just like the name as it incorporates several of my interests...bluegrass music and a horse that can run a long distance. Sure wish there were more 4 mile races.....guess that will never happen again. :cry:

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:04 am

First of all, good luck on your mare and baby! Hope she foals soon.

Give this a shot when checking availability: https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/reg ... N=50771924

I was just looking at this the other day. If you want to see the rule about what makes a name definitely unusable, it's long but thorough: http://www.thejockeyclub.com/registry.asp?section=3#six Hall of Famers are out, yeah. Tenbrook or some soundalike may or may not sneak past. Usually they don't, but Baffert's got a horse named Paynter, and the name Painter is taken so that confuses me. Someone may've had a brain fart because they've said you can't do that. I feel like Paynter's name was originally M C's Dream or something like that so maybe that change flummoxed someone. Any chance you might want to tweak the name just a smidge so they're less likely to catch it? Maybe Tenbrooker or Tenbrooking? I'd think about some back ups that are not really like Ten Broeck just in case.

I also can't figure out why they made the name Zenyatta Mondatta a permanent name because it doesn't fit their criteria. That's what Zenyatta was named after, but it's not her name. They just made it permanent for no reason. Seems pretty arbitrary. I'd say just don't use it cuz it might violate some sort of copyright thing for The Police. The Jockey Club works in mysterious ways. :roll:
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

jagger
Grade III Winner

Foal watch

Postby jagger » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am

Still no foal. No historians that can come up with who holds the record for 4 miles? Might still be Ten Broeck?