Looking to buy first racehorse...

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

Camish
Maiden Special Weight

Looking to buy first racehorse...

Postby Camish » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:16 pm

Hello everyone! I am looking to buy my first racehorse. I am wanting to buy a weanling under $1,500 and located in the Midwest (I don't have a lot of money to be shipping a horse half way across the Nation). I have been around horses all my life, including TB racers, and know how much it costs from the time you buy a weanling until it actually reaches the starting gate for its first race...hence the reason I cannot spend to much on it. If anyone knows of one, could you please let me know? Thanks so much! :D

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:57 pm

you could wait until spring and buy a 2 year old in training. Unless you're the real abitious type who wants to start from the ground up :)

Camish
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Camish » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:37 pm

I knew someone would say that about a 2-year-old! I know that sounds like a good deal and all, but what I am looking for is a weanling. I feel I can find a nice weanling, take good care of it for two years, and in that time save up enough money to get it to the track. I also tend to love my horses to much (if that is possible) and am just really looking for a weanling to baby for a few years before it goes to into race training. :)

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:53 pm

You might want to contact some of the larger breeding farms in your area and see if any of them have weaners for sale. For example, in Ohio that would be Fair Winds, Double D, WinRow... etc.

You can also look at http://www.members4.boardhost.com/jmacneill/ the All Tb classifieds..

Best of luck!!

Pie™
2yo Maiden

Postby Pie™ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:36 am

email me, I may be able to help you with your weanling search.