Remaining Flying Zee mares

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Remaining Flying Zee mares

Postby IcouldbeU » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:18 am

I posted this under the sales section yesterday but I doubt anyone saw it so I thought I would post it here.

There seems to be 8-10 broodmares and maybe a race prospect still available that I saw on on the Highcliff website looking at Congaree and noticed that there are still a handful of broodmares/prospects available. The last sale was january 21st and the opening bid wsa $500 so these must be the "left overs".

Looking at the list, does anyone stand out to take a chance on? I want to breed a mare to Congaree this year and instead of shipping one in, I could get one the these since they are already there.

Thoughts? Here a link to the list http://www.highcliff.com/horses-for-sale.shtml

Most of the mares have foals currently in training and the Old Trieste mare is intriguing since her son has tried stakes and Killer Graces is out of Old Trieste mare.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:44 am

I'm not likely to be concerned with them being "leftovers" but I am if they are physical train wrecks. Have you asked them for information on the mares? I like the pedigree on Apolyptical and she's young, too.

During the Overbrook dispersal there were a number of mares who sold dismally and as recent as last year, at least one wasn't worth a single bid at a sale, so that suggests like in this case there was something off physically, as many of the others sold really well.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:35 am

agreed. I would want to see photos of all 4 sides and a current vet cert of repro exam.

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Postby IcouldbeU » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:25 am

That farm is wonderful. So much information, so I will pass on the Old Trieste mare. The vet who works on the mares is also the farm manager and had tons of information available. I am really hoping to find a good cross so that I can breed to Congaree, I think he is going to be a good stallion.

I was looking at some of the mares that Fanlew has but they look dreadfully thin in the pictures that appear above and I am afraid that they would not be able to make the trip to upstate NY and then out west and hold a foal.

I found one that I loved on Starquine until I realized the listing was outdated.

I really hope that I can find one here at Highcliff.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:59 pm

IcouldbeU wrote:That farm is wonderful. So much information, so I will pass on the Old Trieste mare. The vet who works on the mares is also the farm manager and had tons of information available. I am really hoping to find a good cross so that I can breed to Congaree, I think he is going to be a good stallion.

I was looking at some of the mares that Fanlew has but they look dreadfully thin in the pictures that appear above and I am afraid that they would not be able to make the trip to upstate NY and then out west and hold a foal.

I found one that I loved on Starquine until I realized the listing was outdated.

I really hope that I can find one here at Highcliff.

I agree with the previous comments on the physicals, but if I were forced to take a chance one of of the mares listed at Highcliff...I guess I would try 45. She hasn't yet proven to be unlikely to throw anything at all yet. The cross might also work with Congaree. I wouldn't offer much though. If put through a ring many of these wouldn't draw much of a bid.

Good luck.

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Postby IcouldbeU » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:41 pm

ct2346 wrote:I agree with the previous comments on the physicals, but if I were forced to take a chance one of of the mares listed at Highcliff...I guess I would try 45. She hasn't yet proven to be unlikely to throw anything at all yet. The cross might also work with Congaree. I wouldn't offer much though. If put through a ring many of these wouldn't draw much of a bid.

Good luck.

Thanks! Definitely not being forced into anything just looking to see what is available. These are the mares that did not sell after the final at the farm auction so I think you are correct about not drawing a bid but I do like that the families are active so all hope it not lost.

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:23 am

One of the Highcliff mares, Apocalyptic, from the Flying Zee disperal is the dam of Giant Finish running in the KY Derby this Saturday. You never know when you might find that "diamond in the rough". :)

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Postby IcouldbeU » Thu May 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Actually it was Apocalyptical that sold, her dam is Apocalyptic. So her 1/2 brother will be in the Derby, but she is the dam of a Speightstown who is a G2 placed

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Wow great deal for whom ever picked her up!