Any tips for the Delta Downs Cajun Jackpot stakes series?

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

jellac
Grade I Winner

Any tips for the Delta Downs Cajun Jackpot stakes series?

Postby jellac » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Going to be there this Saturday - weather forecast suggests liklihood of rain - but I'm not sure of how much/whether it will make the track slick and fast or sodden and fast for 'mudders'...... Any tips/advice you wish to share would be appreciated ... :wink:

jellac
Grade I Winner

Re: Any tips for the Delta Downs Cajun Jackpot stakes series

Postby jellac » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:31 pm

Replying to my own post as an FYI to those thinking 'Derby Trail' - Ocho Ocho Ocho was given a masterful ride by Mike Smith, listened to and responded to his jockey with his turn of foot when asked, not before. I think the time probably didn't look impressive but the oval at Delta Downs is a 7 furlong oval and that night for the Jackpot race they came out of a gate backed as far down the chute as it can be had, so ran a long straight bit of ground with a steady, flag snapping tail wind, passing the first 1/4 pole before going into the first turn, whereupon they were all being 'broadsided' by the same smart wind/small scattered drops of rain. Then down the relatively short backside to the final turn and again down the strip in front of the stands for a second time for a relatively short stretch run. He ran a very professional race, allowing Smith to rate his speed, moving over near the rail to save distance when he could and then responding with a nice drive as he surged away from the front runners coming down the stretch. It wasn't officially raining and the track wasn't 'wet' my any means but the low hanging clouds that had been moving in all evening were spitting some rain and the wind was not merely 'breezy'. Based on what I saw in his BC race and last Saturday I think he warrants some due consideration.