Looking Forward to The Dubai World Cup

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Looking Forward to The Dubai World Cup

Postby TJ » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:29 am

Frosted just finished his prep for the World Cup moments ago and it was an absolute romp. I can say this....California Chrome will have his work cut out for him. Of note during the running, was Frosted who switched a bit late into the lane which I thought was attributed to William Buick's ride and the configuration at the Meydan track. When Frosted finally switched....on his own because Buick never really signaled him to switch (which is the way of Euro race riders on turf), he exploded breaking the track record by 2 seconds.
That being said, California Chrome is also being readied for his World Cup prep on February 25th. There should be a strong American presence in Dubai for this years World Cup including Keen Ice, Hoppertunity, Effinex and possibly Mshawish, Itsaknockout, Madefromlucky all 3 of these contingent on their performance this Saturday in the Donn.
Also of interest for me is Mubtaahij, who finished 4th in last years Belmont Stakes (two lengths off 2nd place Frosted that day). He will prep for the World Cup today as well, being his first start since the Belmont Stakes. I always thought he had great ability and I am eagerly awaiting to see his return in about 25 minutes. Kiaran also has two in against him, Watershed (who Kiaran said he has high hopes for in this race) and Confrontation.....Le Bernardin is a solid Saudi entry as well, I'll post the results shortly. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Looking Forward to The Dubai World Cup

Postby Cree » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:50 am

I think that was a nice prep race, he did everything right and finished strongly with lots of energy.
Hard to gauge him against Chrome until it happens, which is pretty exciting stuff :-)

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:05 am

Mubtaahij came back with a very disappointing effort. Never looked comfortable in any part of the race. The speedy Watershed got away dead last....but was running quickest of all at the wire. Confrontation won the race for Kiaran, he beat One Man Band (trained by Doug Watson, Kiaran's former assistant trainer in Dubai), with Watershed a close 3rd beating Le Bernardin out by a head. That gives Buick and McLaughlin two today at the Dubai World Cup Carnival meet. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:16 pm

Watershed is a horse that I hope we see back here again. Seems to be a steadily improving and talented horse.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:55 pm

I love Frosted! I think he's a great racehorse who had the misfortune of running against AP all last season. Were it not for AP thwarting some of his finishes, he ran some strong races. I hope he kills it in the Dubai World Cup! I'm excited to see him go against California Chrome...

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Frosted and California Chrome at the top of their respective games? That's a race to look forward to.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:19 pm

He looks like a different horse this year....here's Frosted's race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucuTL98IOf4

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:26 pm

Here's Kiaran's second winner, Confrontational a recent private purchase from the Barclay Tagg outfit. This is his first start for Goldolfin and McLaughlin. Watch the last horse in the field....Watershed, he was really rolling at the finish. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCBLcKZMV5o

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Donworth will be heading to the World Cup in Dubai after his game placing in the San Antonio Stakes. This puts the expected American contingent at 7, California Chrome, Frosted, Mshawish, Effinex, Hoppertunity, Keen Ice and Donworth. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:59 pm

This Thursday, Feb 25th California Chrome will have his prep race for the World Cup. It is at approx. 10 furlongs, below are the entries. TJ
Race 3
TB - Handicap 2000M(a10F) - Dirt USD 150,000
Weather:Fine Track Condition:Fast
Rail Position:TrueSafety Limit:16

Official Rating Horse Weight Age (yrs) Owner Trainer
121 CALIFORNIA CHROME (USA) 60.0 5 California Chrome, LLC A Sherman
105 THINK AHEAD (GB) 52.5 5 Godolphin S bin Suroor
105 STORM BELT (USA) 52.5 7 Sh Hamdan bin Mohd Al Maktoum D Watson
102 HUNTING GROUND (USA) 51.5 6 Sh Hamdan bin Mohd Al Maktoum S bin Ghadayer
101 GOOD CONTACT (USA) 50.5 4 Godolphin S bin Suroor
100 EL TREN (IRE) 50.5 5 The Attwater Partnership M Attwater
100 SUCCESS STORY (KOR) 50.5 5 Lee Jonghun J K Min
99 JEERAAN (USA) 50.0 6 Sh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum D Watson
98 PLANTAGENET (SPA) 49.5 9 Stall In Bloom N Petersen
95 PIT STOP (IRE) 48.0 5 Sh Hamdan bin Mohd Al Maktoum S bin Ghadayer

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:01 am

He's giving a lot of weight to these other horses, but Art Sherman doesn't seem worried.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:37 pm

He shouldn't have any problem with these horses! Even with the weight.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:36 pm

What about the inside post? Or will Espinoza just send him to the lead?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Here's the replay, Chrome was very much the best or he would have lost the race the way Espinoza rode him. Gave up his early position inside, took him back and kept him wide....if he tries that in the World Cup against better, he'll get him beat. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD3CmUlZ57U

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:34 pm

TJ wrote:Here's the replay, Chrome was very much the best or he would have lost the race the way Espinoza rode him. Gave up his early position inside, took him back and kept him wide....if he tries that in the World Cup against better, he'll get him beat. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD3CmUlZ57U

I actually thought it was a useful learning experience, he was inside where he doesn't like to be, then he was behind horses which he's not that keen on, and was forced to move around quite a bit to get the lead. I wouldn't want him to go that way in the World Cup either, but in a race like this I thought the less than ideal trip was useful.