Let the Games Begin!

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Whirlaway

Fine, I will get you the info by Wednesday.

DDT

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:43 am

Whirlaway

First, if we are going to play more than one race each week we should think about a scratch selection. I know you said it would be a no bet but, if one of us ends up a no bet, the other is also a no bet, it would not be fair otherwise. So for these three races on Friday, December 24 I will include a scratch pick for each race. In the event that one of my selections is scratched then the scratch play for that race is my fall back selection.

The first is Race 2 at Philadelphia (PARX) go to Darley under Street Cry for the pp's. I will wager $60.00 to win and $40.00 to place (2nd) on #5 Street Brawler. In the event that Street Brawler is scratched I select #1 Joe Bagadonuts, same bet, $60.00 to win and $40.00 to place (2nd). I like the drop in class and current form, I think Street Brawler will love the distance.

The second is Race 3 at Philadelphia (PARX) go to Todd Pletcher for the pp's. I will wager $60.00 to win and $40.00 to place (2) on #8 North Range. In the event that North Range is scratched I select #12 Myersrocks, same bet, $60.00 to win and $40.00 to place (2nd)). The 12 will more than likely be the favorite, and Pletcher is not shipping for the fun of it, but, I like the fact that the 8 is coming in off a nice effort at the track, is trained by one of the leading trainers and looks like he might catch the 12 who can lead a long way.

The third is Race 7 at Philadelphia (PARX) go to Darley under Madaglia D'oro for the pp's. I will wager $60.00 to win and $40.00 to place (2nd) on #3 Endymion. In the event that Endymion is scratched I select #8 Casa d'Oro, same bet, $60.00 to win and $40.00 to place (2nd). Looks to be the class of this field and should prevail.

So I have total wagers of $300.00.

Good luck.

DDT

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:22 am

Agreed and henceforth all races should have a scratch selection. If Whirlaway does not post a scratch selection and his horse is scratched the bet is still good for DDT. If DDT does not post a scratch selection and his horse is scratched the bet is still good for Whirlaway.
~
Lets keep it one race per week as agreed. Any additional race or races is an optional betting opportunity that can be accepted or declined. In the interest of gameness, fairness and in the interest of the Spirit of the Games, I intend on making a selection in the three races you have posted this week. Should you have any additional races, lets do it!

A fine and good Happy Holidays and the best of racing luck.

MAY THE GAMES CONTINUE :!: :!:
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. - William O. Douglas
~
It is the characteristic of the most stringent censorships, that they give credibility to the opinions they attack. - Voltaire

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:13 am

Whirlaway

I agree that we should play one race a week, starting next week, your pick, this week we will play the three that I selected. For your information, I just took the first three races that were available looking through the free pp's list, nothing special about them. Scratch selections as you stated are agreed upon. Good luck. Happy Holidays, HOOO HOOOO HOOOOOOOO

DDT

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:07 pm

DDT,

One race a week is the minimum, additional races are optional. I'll post one race next week and likely will post one or two more. The additional races are your option to bet if you would like. You have the option to pass the second race and bet the third or bet the second race and pass the third.

I think the additional optional betting races will spice up the Games.
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. - William O. Douglas

~

It is the characteristic of the most stringent censorships, that they give credibility to the opinions they attack. - Voltaire

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:00 pm

This is gonna be a good race.

I couldn't find anyone in good enough current condition with enough reserve energy to beat Street Brawler/Street Cry/Machiavellian>Street Sense . . . you know the rest of the story. Listed as 5/1 but is likely to go off as the even money favorite. I'm going to bet against Street Brawler and go with Target Practice. Three races back he matches up with a better time; gets a class drop; distance drop; comes in with fresh legs, has four outstanding works and a positive post - well placed.
20 WPS on # 3 Target Practice / 60 W on # 5 Street Brawler - Scratch pick
~
North Range shows two highest BSF (You'll never win these Games w/that angle). From what I have learned that angle is a big winner. I thought Trash To Treasure showed good works; Thanks To Ron matched up well three races back, but he shows weak works - enough said. $ 60 W on # 8 North Range / $ 60 W on # 6 Trash To Treasure - Scratch pick
~
Fascinating race.

Endymion shows the two highest BSF (You'll never win these Games w/that angle). From what I have learned that angle is a big winner. From my understanding of these type of conditions the hoss' most likely to win is a horse that won such a race in the past. 20 WPS on # 4 Tripped Over / 60 W on # 3 Endymion - Scratch pick

Best of racing luck.

THE GAMES SHALL CONTINUE !!

~

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Whirlaway

None of these horses has a double Beyer advantage, I wish they did because you heard right, it does produce winners.

DDT

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:50 am

Whirlaway

I am going to change one of my wagers, in the 3rd race at Philadelphia, I will wager $60.00 to win and $40.00 to place on #12 Myersrocks. In the event that Myersrocks is scratched I select #8 North Range with the same wager $60.00 to win and $40.00 to place. My total wagers for the day remains at $300.00.

DDT

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:24 am

Acknowledged and accepted.

I will also change all three bets to:

$ 50W $14P on Target Practice
$ 64W on Street Brawler - Scratch

$ 64W on North Range
$ 64W on Trash to Treasure - Scratch

$ 50W $14P on Tripped Over
$ 64 W on Edymion - Scratch

My total wagers for the day: $ 192.00

~

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:23 pm

Whirlaway

Your changes are noted and accepted.

Good luck

DDT

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:28 am

Whirlaway

DRF has made the 7th at Philadelphia a race of the day and I stand corrected, Endymion does have a double Beyer advantage but he is changing distance from 1 mile and 70 yards to 7 furlongs so he does not qualify as a play, but he does come into this race with the two highest Beyer speed figures for his two most recent races.

I also forgot to tell you that I noticed Eric the Ram is entered in the 4th at Santa Anita on Sunday, opening day. Baffert has a horse entered named The Factor, and Baffert has touted him as the best 2 year old in his barn. He ran a little green his first out but has a nice work coming into this race. By wheeling Eric the Ram right back his trainer must think he is setting on a good race, we will see. Just thought you would like to know he was running again.

DDT

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:10 am

DDT,

Race of the day . . . you picked a good one! I'm looking forward to this race. I can see it now - everyone scratching their heads wondering why and how Tripped Over won. I believe the drop in distance should accentuate the Double Beyer Advantage: Endymion is going shorter, he should be full of run so the jockey can let go the whip! The question is, does he have enough speed? With respect to the Double Beyer Advantage - is an angle still an angle if everyone knows its an angle?
~
I did see that Eric the Ram was running there at Sanda Anita. Interesting and particularly competitive race. He does turn him right back around and he does get a drop in distance but there are a lot of good ones in this race and too many questions regarding the racetrack surface. I haven't heard anything new about how the surface is playing. For s*i** and giggles, I like Hope and Believe in this one.
~
What do you say we open up a new front in these Games to include bets at Sanda Anita? Maybe a bet or two each week - in this way we can keep up with the track and its changing conditions, the trainers, the runners and be in an informed position when the Derby preps come on line.

Best of racing luck today!

~

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Whirlaway

You can play any track you like, this week it is your race selection.

As of today the standings are as follows:

Week 5 Whirlaway total wagered $192.00 total returned $0.00 total profit on the day -$192.00 bank $1,178.60

total wagers 9 Win 2 (10pts) 0 Place (0pts) 2 Show (2pts)
Win % 22.2% total points 12

Week 5 DDT total wagered $300.00 total returned $365.00 total profit on the day $65.00 bank $990.40.

total wagers 9 Win 4 (20pts) Place 1 (3pts) Show 1 (1pt)
Win % 44.4% total points 24

Good luck next week

DDT

Whirlaway
Grade III Winner

Postby Whirlaway » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:14 pm

DDT,

A good fine congratulations on the winners you picked this week, particularly the switch to Myersrocks!

DDT:
Total wagers 9 - Wins 4 (20pts) Place 1 (3pts) Show 1 (1pt)
Win % 44.4% Total points 24
In the money: 67% - Favorites bet: 77%
Bank: $ 990.40
~
Whirlaway:
Total wagers 9 - Wins 2 (10pts) 0 Place (0pts) 2 Show (2pts)
Win % 22.2% Total points 12
In the money: 44% - Favorites bet: 11%
Bank: $1178.60
~

Interesting what the numbers tell us.

It is a tough game, always has been and made particularly tough in these modern times by the economy, the fragility of the fashion bred, the increased willingness of trainers to darken a horse's form and the plethora of information available to sophisticated handicappers. A good selection at favorable odds can be difficult to discover. When a good selection is discovered it is often the favorite at prohibitive odds and as most everyone knows, betting the favorite most of the time can lead to a loss in the long run. As it is written: You can win the race, but lose at the races.

However, the plethora of information creates a multitude of opportunities and thats what makes it so sweet! We can bet at most any racetrack, most anywhere. A shrewd and conservative handicapper should be able to find profit in troubled times. If he understands the nature of the fashion bred he can penetrate the darkness, locate signs of improvement and find the beatable race at favorable odds. If he respects the percentages of the game he can win at the races. These Games have been fun, interesting and informative to this point and most certainly and NO doubt, these Games will get better. As I have written, its a long way to Kentucky.

Once again, congrats DDT on your two winners this week!

LET THE GAMES CONTINUE !!

~

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Whirlaway

We place our wagers in advance so we do not know who the favorite will end up being, the morning line does not always hold up. My one good paying horse ran 2nd at 11-1. And I agree that we have a long way to go.

Have a great holiday. I am looking forward to next week.

DDT