closers can win the roses

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

closers can win the roses

Postby stancaris » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Although many Derby winners were runners who could lay close to the pace there also were many that came from far back. Some examples of closers were: Animal Kingdom was 12th at the half and rallied to win the Derby, Mine that Bird was 19th at the half and closed ground to win the roses, Street Sense was 19th at the half and rallied to win the roses, Giacomo was 18th at the half and rallied to win the roses, Monarchos was 13th at the half and rallied to win the roses. So, thats 5 Derby winners out of the last 11 that closed ground to win the roses. I am not saying that stalkers can't win but in general horses that close ground also have a reasonabiy good chance to wear the roses

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:56 am

almost by definition, the best horse will be back a bit as the field is so big and there is usually cheap speed in there. It's a real position race, and the best horse that is ON that day still needs a trip. Many 3yo cannot go a mile and a quarter - at that point in their career as well, regardless of how well they rate or whatnot.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.