GR II Pennsylvania Derby Probables

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: GR II Pennsylvania Derby Probables

Postby TJ » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:19 am

Here's the replay...Frosted winning under a strong hand ride without the need of the whip, received an impressive 106 beyer for his effort. TJ

The PA Derby: http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:45 am

I think I'd like to see Upstart be cut back to a mile. It might not make a difference but he doesn't seem to be competitive with the best at these distances.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:40 pm

geowarrior wrote:I think I'd like to see Upstart be cut back to a mile. It might not make a difference but he doesn't seem to be competitive with the best at these distances.

Hi Geo,
His trainer, Ricky Violette brought 2 NY breds to the Derby the last 2 years...Samraat and Upstart. Both looked viable as they approached the Derby and both fell short. Samraat went really bad and was beaten in a allowance race in his last start. Upstart has been mediocre at best since the Derby. If Ricky thinks about it, the move is to regroup and run him October 24th at Belmont Park in the 1 1/8th mile Empire Classic (for NY Breds) 3YO and up worth $300,000. He needs to see what it means to win again, before he falls apart like NY Bred Samraat.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi TJ, I like that approach too. The reason I was thinking of a cutback was because of Upstart's performance in the Holy Bull at a shorter distance. If he could run back to that speed figure he'd be very competitive.