Runhappy

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Runhappy

Postby TJ » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:57 am

Runhappy just got a speeding ticket at Keeneland this morning, he is one wicked fast colt.....working 3/4's in 1:09 4/5, while merely galloping out 7/8ths in 1:23 flat. Here are the fractions, clipping along in 11 and change for every eight!!
11 4/5, 23 2/5, 34 3/5, :46 2/5, :58, 3/4 in 1:09 4/5, out in 1:23. TJ

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Re: Runhappy

Postby geowarrior » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Wow!

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:35 am

This horse is a freak. My concern for him is that Private Zone (and someone else) goes with him, or he doesn't break cleanly - which has happened before!
I'm looking at Wild Dude to come running at the end!

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:22 am

I'm of the opinion he will run any horse to the ground that tries to go with him.

Regards,
Shergar

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Well he did run them into the ground and now the owner has fired the trainer http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/95679/borell-out-as-trainer-for-runhappy .

Remind me not to wish for success.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:37 pm

Incredibly bizarre event. The horse *may* have filling/heat in his ankles. Borell takes to Twitter. The old trainer/racing manager for the owner (also a sister-in-law) wants to send him to the track for a jog after such a big race...and says not heat/filling.
Borell gets fired. Ray Paulick, Steve Haskin, Ahmed Zayat are all backing Borell.
Now I've just read Borell hasn't been paid her 10% winnings from yesterday and that the actual owner hasn't even talked to her.
Umm...my concern is for Runhappy. Why are they jogging him today? Walk the darn horse!

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:57 pm

Yes, horses are creatures of routine. Regardless of the inadvisability of sending a horse to the track the morning after a grueling race, this change won't be good for Runhappy.

I didn't see Steve Haskin or Ahmed Zayat's comments, but I did see Paulick's and they are pretty emphatic.

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:23 pm

Cree;

Don't worry Borell will get her money. I believe it is pretty much universal at all tracks that the trainer and the jocks percentage is taken out before the owner can withdraw their money out of the horseman's account.

While I rightly believe an owner can take their horse to whomever they wish, this situation was really mishandled by Runhappy's owners. My arm length's opinion is Wohler has been scheming for a while to get Runhappy back in her hands.

Shergar

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:51 am

I read somewhere she isn't entitled to a percentage because she was on salary.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:16 pm

Hmm. I am sure there is more and more to the story. People have really taken to attacking McIngvale and the racing manager.

Don't really care that much anymore. Just hope the colt is given time off if he's ouchy, and isn't trained by someone who can't tell the difference between a hot ankle and a cold one.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:33 pm

Well they are the owners and they can do what they like. However, if they planned to let the trainer go it would have been more seemly if they had not participated in all of the hype about the trainer and the horse. It came off as bad pr and for many people spoiled an otherwise feelgood Breeders Cup.

Some people are really going overboard though, calling for voters not to vote Runhappy for an Eclipse Award.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:24 am

Haha. Yes, as far as I am concerned, it is old news.
I am also starting to get a sense that the Super Saver's are not incredibly sound horses.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:21 am

That owner does not seem to ever care much about bad press; he's weathered quite a lot of it over the years. He has also had the trainer revolving door going on for quite some time. I read somewhere that Borrell was paid $1,000 per week SALARY to take care of and train the horse implying that the owner paid all expenses directly, and she was working as a private trainer. We do not know what her contract stated with regard to sharing the horse's earnings. I know that tracks pay the jockey out of the earnings of the horse but I believe any other payments are at the discretion of the owner unless there is a lien or something.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:57 pm

I dropped the ball and missed Runhappy's recent workout. It came on 11/15, Sunday just 15 days after winning the BC Sprint. That isn't earth shattering news, the timetable is actually on target and the norm for most sound and healthy horses returning for their first breeze after a winning race. He received a bullet work at the TB Center in Lexington, going a 1/2 in 48 1/5 breezing in preparation for the Dec. 26th Malibu Stakes. This move is well within his ability and also not earth shattering news. What I thought to be noteworthy though, was the comment by Wohlers:
"We're just starting him out nice and easy," said McIngavale's racing manager Laura Wohlers, who has returned to the role of trainer following the post-Breeders' Cup departure of trainer Maria Borell. "It was just an easy breeze. After the Breeders' Cup, we just gave him a couple of weeks off of easy jogging and light galloping. We wanted to get him back track."
This comment doesn't add up....Runhappy worked 15 days after he won the BC Sprint....so what is she talking about that he had a couple weeks off? If he had a couple weeks off (light jogs and gallops as she said) he would not go and breeze the next day after what she called a two week break?? The first thing after light training for two weeks would be to pick up his gallops for no less than a week....then ask him for that light breeze. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... alibu-next

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:07 am

Runhappy got another speeding ticket this morning when he was vanned to Keeneland from his home base at The TB Training Center in Lexington for a 5/8ths breeze. He went the 5/8ths in 57 flat and galloped out 3/4's in 1:10 and a few. If all is well, he's expected to ship to SA December 3rd for his planned run in the Malibu Stakes Decemeber 26th. TJ

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ong-moveto breeze 5/8ths