The GR I Arkansas Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Arkansas Derby

Postby TJ » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Here's the field and PP's for the Arkansas Derby....a couple new names took a shot. TJ

11th Race. (C10) Post 6:18PM STAKES
The 81st Running of THE ARKANSAS DERBY (Grade I)
$1,000,000 Guaranteed 1 1/8 Miles for THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 ROCKIN RUDY (L) '14 C 118 Gutierrez, M Reddam Racing LLC O'Neill, D
2 CLASSIC EMPIRE (L) '14 C 122 Leparoux, J Oxley, J Casse, M
3 SILVER DUST (L) '14 C 0 118 Lanerie, C Durant, T Morse, RL
4 PETROV (L) '14 C 0 118 Santana, Jr., R Rialto Racing Stables, LLC, Southern Springs Stbl.Moquett, R
5 GRANDPA'S DREAM (L) '14 C R44 118 Canchari, A Scherr, W Hartman, C
6 LOOKIN AT LEE (L) '14 C 0 122 Contreras, L L and N Racing LLC Asmussen, S
7 SONNETEER (L) '14 C - 118 Desormeaux, K Calumet Farm Desormeaux, J
8 ROWDY THE WARRIOR (L) '14 C R40 118 Quinonez, L Zoellner, R Von Hemel DK
9 UNTRAPPED (L) '14 C 30 118 Smith, M Langford, M Asmussen, S
10 ONE DREAMY DUDE (L) '14 C R44 118 Franco, G Muddy Waters Stables Van Berg, J
11 CONQUEST MO MONEY (L) '14 C 52 122 Carreno, J Judge Lanier Racing Hernandez, M
12 MALAGACY (L) '14 C - 122 Castellano, J Sumaya U.S. Stable Pletcher, T
Blinkers Off: One Dreamy Dude; Rockin Rudy
Blinkers On: Silver Dust; Untrapped

Click on Classic Empire: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... mmary.html

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: The GR I Arkansas Derby

Postby Cree » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Untrapped
Malagacy
Classic Empire
Conquest Mo Money

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:06 am

Petrov
Untrapped
Sonneteer
Malagacy

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Here's the results:
Classic Empire...OK right back where we started from:>)
Conquest Mo Money...what a tough horse he is.
Lookin at Lee was 3rd.
Sonneteer was 4th.

Nice exacta box Cree...

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:14 pm

So, can a horse go into the Derby off basically one prep 3 weeks out?
I liked how Conquest Mo Money hung in there, kind of bodes well for Hence - I guess.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Cree wrote:So, can a horse go into the Derby off basically one prep 3 weeks out?
I liked how Conquest Mo Money hung in there, kind of bodes well for Hence - I guess.

Hi Cree,
It would be one round about way of getting it done...but sure. Especially the way Casse has been winning races in bunches lately. The recent meet at Keeneland, he's been very dominant....as well as Leparoux, so it certainly is an interesting development at the very least.
I agree that gritty NY Bred Conquest Mo Money, moved Hence up while he was relaxing in his stall today.
The bad news is, they never nominated Conquest Mo Money to the Derby...but I guess they can supplement if the want to? Number 20 in the Derby is Cloud Computing now with 40 points...Untrapped (34) and Lookin at Lee (32), both trained by Asmussen are in the batters box:>) TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:45 am

I though the no. 6 horse, Looking At Lee, had a good run... if he had been able to get a more direct stretch trip, I think he may have won it, or at least come in second instead of third.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:09 pm

skeenan wrote:I though the no. 6 horse, Looking At Lee, had a good run... if he had been able to get a more direct stretch trip, I think he may have won it, or at least come in second instead of third.

Hi Skee,
Yes I agree....I think a mile and a quarter would be Lee's cup of tea:>) He's a big stout and strong looking colt as well.
Cree's point is also well taken....Hence is another Asmussen horse who's stature improved with the good race the 2nd place finisher ran. This will be a fun filled handicapping adventure, trying to come up with the top 3 in the Derby....can't wait:>) I also must add, Classic Empire was very impressive running so well in the Arkansas Derby with all his adventures getting there. I give a ton of credit to a great job by Casse, his son and Dave Carroll in turning Classic Empire into a viable and serious Kentucky Derby contender once again. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:33 pm

I just realized Conquest Mo Money is from the Cool Mood family - family of Canadian HOY's With Approval and Izvestia, champion Serenading (dam of the talented Seattle Serenade), and Touch Gold, Handpainted, Bar U Mood, Play All Day, Hedonist, and more.
I might have to throw a couple bucks his way just because of that.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:40 am

Cree wrote:I just realized Conquest Mo Money is from the Cool Mood family - family of Canadian HOY's With Approval and Izvestia, champion Serenading (dam of the talented Seattle Serenade), and Touch Gold, Handpainted, Bar U Mood, Play All Day, Hedonist, and more.
I might have to throw a couple bucks his way just because of that.

Hi Cree,
Yes that's one great family and distance isn't a problem. He was kind of overlooked coming up at Sunland. But he proved he's all racehorse. Let's hope they opt to enter him....but it will cost the connections $200,000 to do it. What a great buy he was....they originally gave $180,000 for him as a yearling and then sold to his current owner (after the dispersal of the Conquest Stable horses) for $8,500 as a 3YO in Keeneland's mixed sale last November.
With his speed (if he was mine) I'd look to the Preakness....to give up 1/2 of his earnings after paying just $8,500 for him makes no sense financially? But then again, it is the Derby. Here's an article about Conquest Mo Money. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -derby-run

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:06 pm

I'd give Conquest Mo Money ever more credit based on the way the track played over the weekend.
On Friday and Saturday, there were only two races won on the front end, from 22 races.
On "normal" courses, you'd typically see one-fourth to one-third of the races won by speed horses.
Jose Ortiz, who is an excellent front-end rider in New York, lost on four front runners at low odds on Friday's card, so I believe there was a definite track bias at Oaklawn, against front runners.

I expect we will see him (Conquest Mo Money) win some big Graded races this year!
(Hope the small-town jock gets to keep his mount, too.)

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 pm

It's official, Conquest Mo Money will not run in the Derby. His owner announced today they will point to the Preakness instead and will have to pay a $150,000 supplemental fee because he was not TC nominated. Unofficially, Chad Brown is thinking about taking Cloud Computing out of Derby consideration...allowing one of the Asmussen runners a shot to get in? A bit more to the Mo Money story below. TJ
http://www.equibase.com/racingnews/article/View.cfm