Arrogate to Retire After BC Classic

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Arrogate to Retire After BC Classic

Postby TJ » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 am

Well, I guess many of the red flags we've seen since Arrogate's poor performance 2 starts ago may have some merit after this announcement. Though he is a 4YO and many top stallion prospects seldom race at 5...much of this can be attributed to his late start and meteoric rise to the top (and the pressure he had to undergo in a short period of time).
He is training and looking so much better than he did earlier in the year...little if any reluctance in his training, but it does make one wonder if he's undergone some physical repairs? Of course we will never know, but if he's "right" for his Classic try he will be a tough contender. Seems like Baffert knows he doesn't have many more left and the decision to retire after the BC Classic might confirm that idea?
In any case, it is the right thing to do for a horse who really pushed his physical limits to reach his lofty position as a racehorse in such a short time-span. He deserves a good retirement and hopefully will become a quality stallion? If he stays healthy and does make his BC Classic engagement at least we know he will be 100% ready for it. That being said, he still has to overcome his dislike for the Del Mar racing surface. Looking forward to this seasons BC races....especially the Distaff and Classic. Here's the retirement article. TJ
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... eeders-cup

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Re: Arrogate to Retire After BC Classic

Postby skeenan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 am

I have mixed feelings... if he has a horrible performance, then it makes total sense. BUT... what if he has a Dubai-like performance and crushes it for an amazing win? Then I'm going to be a little bummed to see him go off to the breeding shed. I guess ultimately, I hope for the best... it would be great to see him retire on a high note, and healthy.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:33 pm

I don't think we'll see the same horse in this year's Classic. It would be a neat surprise to see him win, but I am skeptical that he's going that way in his training.
I think Dubai took something out of him and/or TJ you are probably right, something has been physically amiss.
He was certainly GOOD when he was good.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:48 pm

His head isn't in it. He's had that 'Big Brown look' just not comfortable and wanting to compete. Baffert & Co pushed him to a pinnacle to make all that money, but at a different price of sorts. My hat's off to any horse that can go to Dubai, run big, and return 100%. So many don't. I suspect, after a long rest in the Ky bluegrass, Arogate will be wishing he were back at work at the track.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.