is this odd?

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Jenny
Restricted Stakes Winner

is this odd?

Postby Jenny » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:44 pm

I have a mare named Jenny Bug. We have discussed her breeding before on another thread. She is chestnut with a couple white socks and a blaze. She was my first broodmare and is the sweetest thing! Anyway back to my question. She has had 5 foals for me over the years and has never thrown a chestnut. Bred to all different stallions and she has had 1 black and 4 dark bays? I know someone else on the pq has mentioned her dams side is known for throwing blacks. Just wondering about it?

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Did you ever bred her to a chestnut stallion? If you did, you would've had for sure a chestnut foal.

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:13 pm

Jenny- my Hanoverian mare is the same way, 5 foals and all bays out of a chestnut mare. She was always bred to a bay, but that bay has thrown chestnuts. I was wondering the same thing about her. Her colt this year is also bay.

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:58 pm

My mare had 13 foals and all were the sire color except her last colt. By a bay Kris S stallion he came out solid chestnut, not a speck of white. GO figure.

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:29 am

She could be homozygous Agouti and that would explain why you are getting bay/black foals by bay/black stallions but you will get a chestnut if bred to a chestnut stallion. Agouti doesn't show up on red.

Jenny
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Jenny » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:54 pm

Georgerz.
She has not been bred to a chestnut stallion. Only dark bays.
She is off this year having had such a hard foaling with Gone Zilla.