RHF's new Mystery Colored TB Stallion

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:50 pm

I have one young QH mare that I think I might have to breed to him at least once to what we'd get? She is new and is a creme gold champagne.
probably wouldn't happen, but what if. Just what if SHEZA LONESOME PEARL and Stetson had a 1/2 Gold champagne and half Sable or Classic champagne. Would that not be the most beautiful?? I would think it would be priceless!

http://www.ichregistry.com/colors.htm

HeadlessHorseman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby HeadlessHorseman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:40 pm

HHImage

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:20 pm

Harry made me do it!! :wink:

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:50 pm

HeadlessHorseman wrote:Image

HHImage

Yeah Ditto!

100 smacks with a wet noodle!

On the other hand he is still a unique case and I'm glad you brought him to our attention. I hope the guy will get him tested. Maybe they would test him for free because he's so um, different!!! :roll: OK you never know, it could happen!

My guess is that either he's A) a chimera or B) a super sooty liver chestnut (like those black chestnut morgans) and something has caused the sooty gene(s) to be turned off in some areas and on in others. Like large birthmarks!

Because he's SO black and SO chestnut though I would be leaning toward chimera.

Chimeras will not reproduce their patterns. Depending on what is in their reproductive DNA they can produce one or the other BUT not themselves. That is because they are a mix of two individuals more or less. But when breeding they can only pass on the DNA from one.

I do not know that Catch A Bird was a chimera or at least nobody ever tested him (for anything, sadly). All we know for sure is that he produced a mutation that appeared like and reproduces like true/classic roan. Although his TB offspring do not show a 50/50 pattern (4 from about 40 foals) he sired other partbreds that also had the roan looking pattern so he may have a different % if we only knew the identities and colors of ALL of his foals. But there is nothing saying that his mutation would have necessarily followed any normal & either!
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:03 pm

So is it a possibility that if he is negative for chimera, he could reproduce a wild child?

BlazingColours
Allowance Winner

Postby BlazingColours » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:28 pm

Very interesting. So he has produce pinto foals out of non pinto mares? Or were the mares pintos where he produced the pinto foals?

You had me wondering where the heck that colour came from in TB's. I will admit that when I saw the head; it really did not look TB to me.

Let us know what it comes back as...
Living life for the journey, not the destination.
Join us on FACEBOOK

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:38 pm

When I looked I thought "what a damned ugly Thoroughbred!" No matter the color, he did not look like a breeding quality animal to me.

So I was QUITE relieved to find out it's NOT a TB and won't be circulating in the genetic pool near me :lol:
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:13 pm

Yeahhh........it is pretty funny. How dare you ladies not think he was an improvement sire, LOL. He was sweet as pie though :lol:

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:23 pm

I agree Madelyn. My first thought was "Great, another POS breeding because of its color". Im relieved it was a joke.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Skipitgirl wrote:I agree Madelyn. My first thought was "Great, another POS breeding because of its color". Im relieved it was a joke.

Now skipitgirl, you just made this comment on the color corner, several folks here have some very nice looking boys, we hope you aren't referring to our own "pride & joys" :?

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm not surprised. I knew your not answering our questions about his name and pedigree meant you were up to something. :wink:

I still want to see him tested. I fully believe he is chimeric.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:34 pm

I do to........the fact that he has had black and sorrel means his is throwing his color and white, just not at the same time. The color pattern is soooo strange, doesn't really follow one.

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:41 pm

No Reedhill. There are a few colored horses on here I adore (Hi Donna!) But Im not afraid to express my opinion on horses breeding just because of their color or any other reason for that matter. Whether Im visiting the Color Corner or not.

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Were his black out of black mares? That could tell us something.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:29 pm

Not sure ACC without looking to see if APHA would give that info.

You know skipitgirl.........I don't believe horses should breed just because they have color either. There are several factors that go into making that decision. What I also believe is that regardless of what a stallion has done for a career or not, if he doesn't measure up in body, mind, movement, ht., and conformation AND if the mares he breeds are below good to great, there will never be a demand for the pitiful foals.