Flapping

Discuss racing outside the USA.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, K~2, Jorge

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Flapping

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:19 am

I know in the 1980's "flapping" existed in the UK, but I was curious if it still goes on.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Shammy what a question! I haven't heard that expression for years and I am sure that most message board readers would like you to explain what a "flapping" track is. To be honest I doubt that they would be in action any longer due to the world becoming a smaller place via satellite tv and the internet. These two great techno advances have brought the races into your living room 24/7 and a day out at a flapping track would not really provide the thrill it once used to.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Wilf: I recall in the late 1980's in northern UK, it was still going on. I guess both of us are revealing our ages on this subject.

For those who don't know what "flapping" is, it was the running of unrecognized race meets in the UK and though I'm not sure, I've heard maybe "down under" also.

Though registered TB's could run in these meets, if they did they could not race in JC recognized meets thereafter.

Essentially they were illegal meets and it was a low end sort of affair. Most of the registered horses were run in phony names so that they could not be traced to their registration. Betting went on like at normal meets with bookies handling the money directly. As a Marine serving with the Royal Marines (military exchange program) in the early 70's I attended a couple of these meets with friends.

Wilf is probably correct. With the advent of mass media and television, it is probably an uncommon occurrence now, if does occur at all.

I do remember having a great time though. I was just curious if anyone in the UK was aware if it still existed.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:25 am

One of the best day's racing that I ever had was at a "picnic" meeting for grass-fed horses in Victoria,Australia. Great weather, legal bookmakers betting on the 4 "heats" then on the final, plus betting on interstate racing over the PA system. The course was a half-mile dog leg bulldozed out of a wheatfield. Lot of fun and exciting races too!