Queen's Wrack

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Queen's Wrack

Postby xfactor fan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Lucy would you please look up the offspring of this mare?

Queen's Wrack 1967 by Nirfren out of Queenorth.

I'm trying to track down a daughter by Hal Peck named some variation of Strolling Lady.

Thanks.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:22 pm

I'm not Lucy, but happened to have an APR in the drive. :wink: How about Strolling Hostess unraced 1974 dkbbr f x Hal Peck - Queen's Wrack x Nirfren.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:22 pm

Strolling Hostess. :)

http://www.pedigreequery.com/strolling+hostess

She was her dam's only foal. She herself had three foals - Eight Pennys, Coed Hostess, and Mojave Sands - none of which raced or had any offspring that I could find.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Jinx. :wink:

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:28 am

Thanks to both of you.

The story on this horse is interesting. Was a hunter/jumper, and lost her first two foal to septicemia. The three that survived had serious bone issues.

Anyone know about the effects of septicemia on bone/cartilage?

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:33 am

Also if you look at Friendly by Blenheim II, she has several foals in the 50's, and one sired by Sadler's Wells in 2005. Perhaps a goof??

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 am

xfactor fan wrote:Also if you look at Friendly by Blenheim II, she has several foals in the 50's, and one sired by Sadler's Wells in 2005. Perhaps a goof??

A seriously flawed and now deleted attempt to enter Sweet Sixteen7.

'Naval ill' (aka: 'joint ill', systemic infection caused by bacteria entering the umbilical stump) can definitely cause bone & joint issues.

Lucy wrote:Jinx. :wink:

Did I miss something, or am I just suffering from caffiene-deficiency cluelessness? :lol:

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:40 pm

I took Lucy's comment to refer to three unraced foals.

Weird story. There is some evidence that Strolling Hostess had some sort of systemic bacterial infection that was antibiotic resistant. She changed hands after having lost two foals, and delivered three more live foals with the help of massive amounts of antibiotics. However, none of the three survived training, breaking down before starting. Their bones just couldn't stand the stress.

A couple of other horses that were sent to Strolling Hostess's sire delivered still born, or foals that died soon after birth, so the theory is that there was some sort of infection that Hal Peck was passing on to his mares. Strolling Hostess was the only foal of her dam, who if this is correct would have been infected too.

And of course some of this is second hand. But it records that I've been able to find, including those with your fine help, seem to bear out this story.

The stallion has a very limited production record, which could be for many reasons, but it does make one wonder.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:31 pm

xfactor fan wrote:I took Lucy's comment to refer to three unraced foals.

No...though it would be apt, wouldn't it?

Maybe it's a New England thing, but when I was young, 'jinx' is what kids would say after two people say the same thing at the same time. PanZareta & I posted at the same time with the same info. :wink:

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:10 pm

:oops: I didn't notice the time stamps...duh. :lol:

xfactor fan, Hal Peck's progeny are a tad more numerous and accomplished than entries in the db here might suggest. I ran a QH progeny report on him (which included several of his TB foals), and checked the (TB) produce rcds. for dams (& half sisters & 2d dams) of his foals in the db here. HP raced for four years & then went on to a career as a regional stud whose offspring (TB & QH) enjoyed a small measure of restricted stakes blacktype. Several of his foal that are officially unraced per TB rcds. did race - but not in "sanctioned" events (they were running w/ Quarters). I'm not really seeing anything glaring in the records to suggest that he might have been a source of soundness issues for his mares or foals, some of whom ran for several years.