Twins

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Twins

Postby Bohemia » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:24 am

I was wondering if anyone here could suggest a web site or has any information on thoroughbred twins that have had success on the racetrack. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:59 am

Bohemia, you can hardly find one that is a winner, that's how bad it is to have twins. There were a couple of chestnut twin fillies that went through the NorCal yearling sale about 20 years ago, back to back. I wish I could remember their breeding and look them up. They actually looked well-balanced, and it would have been a kick to buy them both and train them, but I was young and poor that day.

There's a lot less twins than there used to be now that vets can ultrasound and pinch one off. So the chances of finding any successful ones are getting ever smaller. I'm sure there have been some stakes winners in the history of the Thoroughbred, but there won't be many.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Stop on Red & Go On Green (ch fillies 1959 x To Market - Danger Ahead x Head Play) were both hard-knocking winners. Stop on Red was 2d dam of Spectacular Bid.

A historical (earliest rcds. to 1900) study of twinning in the TB can be ordered here.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks for the info! I do remember Stop on Red and Go on Green ... loved those names. In December, a pair of twins went through the sales ring at Tattersalls.

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Fri May 01, 2009 1:28 pm

They were from an exceptional family, though: Dreaming of Anna, Lewis Michael, Kitten's Joy. Who knows how good Stop on Red might have been if she hadn't been a twin.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Sat May 02, 2009 9:05 am

Paleface Poster had Spend a Buck twins in 1992. Moshi was unplaced in one start and Mindiera ran 4 times winning 1 and earning $3641. If I remember correctly, and I am not that reliable ;), they were the first twins to make it to the races. Or maybe it was to run against each other. This happened in AB so perhaps someone there can ask around.