Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

equestriandynamo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby equestriandynamo » Tue May 12, 2009 8:36 am

Last edited by equestriandynamo on Fri May 15, 2009 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Tue May 12, 2009 11:30 am

'VF', in this case, stands for 'Vintage Farm', the farm owned by Michael Matz and his wife. :)

Probably not related to the brand you saw....

equestriandynamo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby equestriandynamo » Tue May 12, 2009 11:56 am

thank you lucy. i remember there being some threads somewhere about identifying brands, and since i had no reference to show others what i was talking about when i saw this one i posted it.
do you know of any sites that could help out?

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Tue May 12, 2009 12:05 pm

I only know of this one:
http://www.dressageamerica.com/brands_new.htm

Those are Breed Society brands (mostly Warmbloods). Nothing looks VF-y to me, though.

What breed was the horse? That may provide a clue...

equestriandynamo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby equestriandynamo » Tue May 12, 2009 12:06 pm

she was a registered quarter horse. about 25 now, her 'name' was miss clark or misses clark or something..
i know this is a little OT since its about a QH but... if you could help i'd appreciate it.

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Tue May 12, 2009 6:57 pm

Dee Dee Alexander Matz is a scion of the King Ranch family who were and are very big in QHs. Her mother is Helen Alexander, and it's possible (I haven't looked this up) that she uses one of the family farm names that was used for QHs before.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Tue May 12, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm next door to useless when it comes to QH matters....but I do recall reading that most stock horse brands are unique to their breeders, and are registered with local authorities rather than a national organization.

Still, I would imagine that the AQHA considers them identifying marks?
Anyone?

Not the first time I've run into this, though - a QH I rode at school had a '2' branded on his flank. No one knew why. I used to joke that perhaps he was the equine equivalent of a #2 pencil, and would improve his riders' test scores....never worked for me, my tests were still crap. :wink:

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue May 12, 2009 10:39 pm

equestriandynamo wrote:she was a registered quarter horse. about 25 now, her 'name' was miss clark or misses clark or something.. i know this is a little OT since its about a QH but... if you could help i'd appreciate it.

In that time frame the only similar name I can find in AQHA rcds. is Miss Clarks Hand 1981 ch f x Clark's Wimpy - LA Pajuela x El Rey Rojo, bred by W.D. Woods, Tulsa, OK, last owner of rcd. Cody Neal, Jay, OK, to whom she was sold 1/9/1986.

lucy wrote:I'm next door to useless when it comes to QH matters....but I do recall reading that most stock horse brands are unique to their breeders, and are registered with local authorities rather than a national organization.

Don't know about other states, but in TX brands used for livestock, incl. horses, are supposed to be registered w/ the county clerk. If there are any statewide or national livestock brand registries I'm unaware of them.

Fwiw, the running W is used by the King Ranch. I've never heard of the VF being used by a family member other than the Matzes.

Still, I would imagine that the AQHA considers them identifying marks?
Anyone?

Yes, they're supposed to be shown on the registration ctf., as are tattoos and scars. The AQHA posts the info on the papers at no charge if you send them in w/ photo or diagram + date and manner of acquisition. (In practice, I don't think I've actually seen a scar noted on papers - nor have I rushed to notify the AQHA whenever one was acquired. :wink:)

equestriandynamo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby equestriandynamo » Wed May 13, 2009 4:38 am

thank you so much for the information Pan!
i'd say thats her

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Fri May 15, 2009 2:29 pm

vineyridge wrote:Dee Dee Alexander Matz is a scion of the King Ranch family who were and are very big in QHs. Her mother is Helen Alexander, and it's possible (I haven't looked this up) that she uses one of the family farm names that was used for QHs before.

I did not know that, but now I realize why she looked so familiar during their Derby run. Dee Dee looks a lot like Helen, I think.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.